• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Greenscreen and camera tracking question.

Hi there, I have several pictures that I have stitched together as a wide image, specifically set images from stargate universe. What I want is to have an actor in front of a greenscreen, and when he walks left/right, the wide image will move as if he walked through the set. I know this can be done by tracking markers on the greenscreen, but that if the camera actually moved. Our greenscreen is not large enough that he can actually move a lot, so the camera will be standing still and not follow him. And that means he will be standing stationary, and I will have him do a walking motion.

So in the bottom line, how can I make it look like he's walking through the set, and have the image move with him in a realistic way, any special methods? I guess keyframing the position of the image may work after many tries, but is it a better way to achieve this effect? And the fake walking motion will look quite... fake won't it. What are your thoughts, what can I do?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You're providing the solutions for yourself !

If you can't move the camera you'll need to animate the bakcground.

For the walking motion, you can try and get a treadmill.

PS : Where are you in Norway ?

You're providing the solutions for yourself !

If you can't move the camera you'll need to animate the bakcground.

For the walking motion, you can try and get a treadmill.

PS : Where are you in Norway ?

Yea, that's right hehe. So this is the way to go? I just wondered if there was any other simpler solutions. A walking treadmill, not a bad idea, I'll see if I can manage something, thanks :) I live in Sortland, Norway, in the northern part of the country, why?

Last edited:
Move the green screen ? He said he didn't have enough green screen to be walking so that also means he doesn't have enough to move it.

And I don't think you're supposed to move the green screen. That sounds kindda useless since you'll be keying it anyway..

Wheatgrinder speaks from experience; In some situations, if you need an actor to move across a wide area, and you don't have enough green screen to cover the entire move, you can have some grips physically move the screen during the take - keeping it behind the actor. It works, but you can get into some major lighting issues, as well as the need to have a long green for the actor to walk on so you can key around his legs & feet. I consider this technique fairly advanced and wouldn't recommend it for the beginner.

If it's just for one shot you really should consider putting your time into carefully matching the lighting to your background, and then rotoscoping your actor. Old school, but effective.

Wheatgrinder speaks from experience; In some situations, if you need an actor to move across a wide area, and you don't have enough green screen to cover the entire move, you can have some grips physically move the screen during the take - keeping it behind the actor. It works, but you can get into some major lighting issues, as well as the need to have a long green for the actor to walk on so you can key around his legs & feet. I consider this technique fairly advanced and wouldn't recommend it for the beginner.

If it's just for one shot you really should consider putting your time into carefully matching the lighting to your background, and then rotoscoping your actor. Old school, but effective.

Oh ok I pictured something completely different but yeah that's a solution if the light is even (outside shooting for example).

Back