Finding Talent?

Hi guys,

Totally new to the forum, but not to making videos, I say videos b/c I've never tried to go for a "cinematic" look until now, later in life. I mainly do automotive type documentary style stuff and after seeing so many short indie films from regular Joes I really want to try my hand at it. I wrote a script a couple years ago but didn't do anything with it. My question is how do you go about getting "talent" for it? I'm figuring first you go to friends/family whatever, but lets say they are not interested, or you don't have any friends, or good ones anyway that share any kind of passion for it. Or maybe they do but they suck at everything, what do you do then if you can't pay someone and you are just some guy/gal that is trying to do a short film? I thought about Craigslist and then thought, "yeah, my ad will state, aspiring film maker yada yada looking for female actress..." yeah that would go over well, sounds like a serial killer ad LOL :lol: So how do you guys do it? It has never been an issue for the auto stuff b/c it centers around the owner and his/her vehicle, but a short film...wow...that is a whole other can of worms I've never tackled...Thanks for any guidance, glad to be around here.

you're in the US, so Craigslist

or set up accounts on acting websites - cant think of any right now as Im in the UK (Im an actor myself) - do research about casting sides

when posing the ad, write what it is and what it is about.

also - depending on the age and place you live - try posting some adverts at collages? I dont know if it would work in the US but it works in London

Back