Crowd Funding idea

Hello...I have wrote a Short Film (Comedy)...Anyhow, I am interested in running a crowd funding campaign, to raise some of the money, which if reaised, I'll take to interested parties etc to look at securing remainder of the budget.
I am going to make a film for the campaign...Now my idea is either to shoot the opening scene, which will be straight forward, and is a good introduction to the film......or
Shoot an alternative short clip, which isn't a scene, but is linked to it.

Would shooting the opening scene be a better idea?

How long is your short? How much of it are you planning on shooting for the crowdfunder?

Just so we're clear, your crowdfunder would only be a start, in order to raise more funds? If so, what would your backers stand to gain? What if you aren't able to secure additional funding? You really ought to look at raising the full amount needed to shoot the short, so that your backers know they're supporting something that will actually come to fruition. You can then look for additional funds to make the film better, but you still need to be able to make the film if you don't find that funding.

How long is your short? How much of it are you planning on shooting for the crowdfunder?

Just so we're clear, your crowdfunder would only be a start, in order to raise more funds? If so, what would your backers stand to gain? What if you aren't able to secure additional funding? You really ought to look at raising the full amount needed to shoot the short, so that your backers know they're supporting something that will actually come to fruition. You can then look for additional funds to make the film better, but you still need to be able to make the film if you don't find that funding.

Thanks for the reply...Yes, it would be a start...I've spoke to several directors locally, who have done it this way....they used 'Indiegogo'...Would you advise, shooting the opening scene (this sets up the premise and intro to characters), as it would be pretty straight forward (one location in a car), and approach production companies, to take the project on, if they like remainder of the script???

Did those directors already have a large portfolio/several short under their belt?
Did they tell you where they got the funds?
Did they know in advance they would get the funding if they succeeded with crowdfunding or was it a gamble?
Are you eligable to apply for those funds?

Here in The Netherlands there are several grants you can apply for as a filmmaker, but they all have certain conditions you have to meet. And those are pretty strict, which make it hard to get your first short funded.
I recently turned down writing a director's treatment for a shot script to apply for a grant, because I don't meet all those conditions yet. It would be a waste of everyone's time and a waste of a cool script to apply knowing you don't meet the criteria.
(With criteria I mean really dry criteria: number of shorts, theater releases, such things. After meeting those criteria they will look at the quality of your work.)

You have to offer your backers something solid.
You can't say: I'll take your money and then maybe I'll make something when I have enough funding. Crowdfunding can be part of the funding, but you'll need some things in place.

Ask yourself some of these questions:

You have a few quid to spare and you're looking at crowdfunding
campaigns on indiegogo. What draws YOUR attention? Would YOU
be more likely to donate if he had shot the opening scene of the
short he's funding or an alternative short clip?

Did you see the campaigns of the directors you spoke to? Did you
donate any money to any of them?

I did one that got funded. I shot a teaser trailer specially for it. Then shot a pitch video. I also had all my crew in place with bios for all and a load of perks for those who donated.

Back