• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Music for Film Advice

I am about to begin shooting a short. It has the kind of Dr Seuss theme to it like a narrator, jumpy music, and rhyming. Does anyone know where I can find the music or how do I get the music to match the rhyming pace of the dialog?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Of course.... you can get anything for free. Directors, Post Audio, DPs, PAs, Producers, Location Audio, Graphics. All for Free!

You just have to be one of those people who's willing to take the risks associated with that.... there are many risks, and that's just one of the reasons projects usually budget wages.

Also... if you're intending to make the dialog happen in rhythm with the music (that's called sprechstimme), you'd need to do the music during pre-pro and shoot that scene like a musical. If you tried to do it from the hip during post production, you'd be lucky if it was anything better than bad.

Sounds cool though! I love the fun Dr Seuss concept. Good luck!

Also... if you're intending to make the dialog happen in rhythm with the music (that's called sprechstimme), you'd need to do the music during pre-pro and shoot that scene like a musical. If you tried to do it from the hip during post production, you'd be lucky if it was anything better than bad.

Sounds cool though! I love the fun Dr Seuss concept. Good luck!

Do you know where I can learn how to do that or is is really complex?

Holy crap really ?People do that FOR FREE ?

As a composer yes, some of us will do work for free, however, is that fair to the composer who works hard to help breath life into your vision? This is a good video to watch. Remember, treat other's as you wish to be treated. So if you'd work for free, then go ahead and ask a composer to work for free, but if you wouldn't, you shouldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a8TRSgzZY

If you're interested, I'm available, just send me a message and we can discuss details and I can share my work with you so you know what level of quality to expect.

Last edited:
Do you know where I can learn how to do that or is is really complex?

Unless you plan to be a composer.... creating music that works with spoken dialog is what a composer is supposed to do. You would write the dialog/lyrics with the composer's assistance. Then they would create the music. You would have the actors say their lines in a studio and lay it into the music. Then on set, you would have a playback system and record the actors speaking along with the playback. Then in post, you trash your production sound and "POOF" the music and spoken word should sync perfectly with your shots.

Back