• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Great Camera pan trick!!

Some people may already know about this but if you were in the dark with me about how to get a good pan with a cheap tripod head check out this quick video and their other videos, very cool. so simple and costs the price of a rubber band.

http://youtu.be/Fj6fMcJ18aA

I don't think there's enough framing and speed control. That video reminded me of so many bad commercials, showing someone completely inept at something like holding a flashlight ... suddenly getting the miracle product that fixes everything.

The way I pan with a small tripod is to jam my elbow into my side and pan by shifting my weight and rotating, not by waving my arm around. Actually, I can do a smooth pan with my arm alone, but it's not quite as exact... I can't imagine a rubber band helping. I might try a two hand thing, where I can use the other hand to guide, which is often how I do it anyway (with one hand guiding and one pushing).

I don't think I'd have much chance of executing an accurate and well-timed pan using that method but it might be worth a try. Still, doing a reshoot because your rubber band broke? That could be an ass-kicking by the director.

I've found it only works well on a consistent head. One that is randomly stiff will get caught a little then possibly jump forward slightly. + This is impossible with anything live or something that's exact positioning cannot be predicted.

It's a nifty trick, but something you're probably not going to use a whole lot often

I keep them in my camera case for just this purpose. Using two in opposite directions allow much smoother starts and stops. It also allows you to "drive" the head around.

Back