Does shutter speed matter?

I know 24 fps is the standard in film making. I was making a video two days ago and I noticed I jump the shutter speed up and down a lot depending on the light. But only now did I question if there was a standard for shutter speed?

Yes there is a standard. Double the frame-rate which means 1/48 for 24p (also known as the 180° rule).

That being said, I don't respect it on DSLR and if I have enough light, I try to get a faster shutter.

the best way to learn is through experimentation.

Specifically with different cameras. They will all grant you different results, though not necessarily at a large scale

Yes, it definitely matters. Shutter speed effects motion-blur, and with decades of movies and television using roughly the same standards, audiences have grown accustomed to a particular amount of motion blur. Even going with 1/100 makes it choppy enough that people will notice, or they might not be able to put a finger on it, but will just feel like something isn't right.

If you have a specific reason for wanting a different type of motion blur, then by all means, use whatever shutter speed you want. But if you desire to deliver the motion blur that people are used to seeing, keep it at 1/50 or 1/60 (if you're using DSLR).

Concerning the three basics of photography, shutter, aperture and ASA/ISO... shutter speed does not really matter because in film it is almost not even an option. As others have said, set it at x2 of your frame rate. Now you only have the aperture and ISO to worry about and how they matter.

Of course, you may over or under crank for a special effect.

for fight scenes, or active scenes i actually prefer higher shutter speeds, im starting to grow to dislike the shutter speed being double the framerate as to me the image looks a bit boring, but each to their own, what i would do if your unsure is shoot the same scene with different shutter speeds.

for fight scenes, or active scenes i actually prefer higher shutter speeds, im starting to grow to dislike the shutter speed being double the framerate as to me the image looks a bit boring, but each to their own, what i would do if your unsure is shoot the same scene with different shutter speeds.

I have to agree on this. I feel like on DSLR 1/48 is much muddier than real camera. Pro movies today are so crip looking that it just makes want to have more shutter speed.

The hobbit was shot with 1/75 and the 24fps version of the movie doesn't look weird or "not right".

Bottom line : experiment.

Back