Just a Quick B & H Vent

I've been planning on purchasing the Panasonic AG-AC130 for awhile now (too long) and happened to notice in mid March B & H running a $300 instant savings special. I assume this was related to the Panasonic rebate of the same amount going on through the summer. This brought the price down to $2995 which was the best price I had seen for the cam. (from a reputable and trustworthy seller anyway)

I made up my mind to purchase it on the last day of March (pay day, and last day of sale) to take advantage of that price. I checked in on the camera page often (almost obsessively out of excitement) over the next couple weeks just to look at it again, read specs again, check out possible accessories, etc. The last day of the month arrives (a Sunday) and I get home from being out all day and jump on my computer around 8PM EST to make my purchase. All of a sudden there's not only a date expiration but now a time one too in the same spot, and I missed it by an hour. I swear that time expiration was never present until the end since I had been to the page almost every other day for the last two weeks of the month and never saw it. The price was back to $3295. I was bummed to say the least.

I emailed immediately, but B and H was on Passover break and the auto-responder I received back told me to resend in early April (I forget the re-open date exactly). So I did, and I explained what happened (I took responsibility for missing the deadline even though I'm 99.9% sure the time expiration was not there until the very last day or so), and asked if this special $300 instant savings offer would be brought back at all while the Panasonic rebate was still happening. I was told by support that he did not see anything happening in the next month or so for sales or rebates for this model. Bummer.

At this point I had no sense or urgency as B and H, Amazon, and Adorama all had the same price now, so I started reading reviews, shopping around, taking my time again, etc. Then a week later (say, about a week ago) I go to the AG-AC130 page at B & H and see there's a new "Instant Savings -$300" posted. I was elated until I added it to my cart and the price was still $3295. What the heck? So I emailed them again to ask.

I never got an answer from them about what really happened (they raised the price at the same time they added a new Instant Offer to offset the price and keep it the same) which was unfortunate. The only reason I caught this was because I was ready to pull the trigger on this purchase and watching the price and specials closely. The support person did say he spoke with his buyer and offered me around a hundred bucks off the price if I purchased within a week which I thought was a nice gesture, but I'm still kind of disappointed.

Yeah, I know, a couple hundred bucks isn't the end of the world. This wasn't meant to be a B & H bashing or anything. I like their support, I like their store layout, and I'll probably still end up buying from them. This is just more of a slight vent over how things went down. I think I would have felt better about it if they admitted, yes, the price was raised at the same time because blah blah fill in your reason here. Oh well.

Thanks for reading my rant. :)

respect them for honoring the holidays

Sounds like the special ENDED at the end of March but they don't take order over Passover so.. you lose if you didnt have your order in BEFORE the start of passover (which was before the end of the month) sound more like the shopping cart software didn't quite know how to deal with this incongruity.. in a HAL9000 moment.. "I cant do that Dave"

You might be better off calling and talking to someone in person. I have found them helpful and they can process the order for you. If there is a problem or discrepancy you can get an explanation or have it straightened out rather than having to go through a computer.

B&H seems to close for every 'holiday' regardless of the origin of that holiday.. I dunno if I respect that or it just paints them as 'lazy' to me. :)

The B&H Family is very orthodox.

From Wikipedia:

The business is owned by Herman Schreiber. Schreiber and many of the store's employees are observant Satmar Hasidic Jews who close the store on Shabbat and Jewish holidays except for Hanukkah (Jewish law does not prohibit work during that holiday, except during Shabbat itself). The Web site is open, but orders are not taken or shipped between Friday evening and Saturday evening and on Jewish holidays. Surpassed only by the Diamond District in terms of Orthodox employment, the company is a vital part of the community's financial health, with hundreds of Orthodox Jews on staff. An Orthodox Jewish bus company provides daily service to and from Kiryas Joel, a Satmar village in Orange County, New York.

They also show respect for other religions, and close (or give time off to Christian employees) on the highest Christian holidays plus many of the federal holidays. It may be inconvenient to some, but I find their adherence to religious principles in our secular age rather refreshing.

They also take their relationships with their customer base very seriously. I have always received excellent customer service. The people I deal with have never BSed me, but gone in search of answers. (I have lots of respect for someone who says "I don't know.") So, selym, I would call them and very firmly - but very politely - ask to speak to a manager. Very calmly and politely explain what happened, how it affected you (and them since you didn't purchase the camera), how upset you were/are, and suggest that they more prominently display the terms and conditions of such special discount sales, such as showing that the sale ends on what specific date at what specific time. Maybe something will happen, maybe not. But any honest business truly appreciates the input, and maybe you will be rewarded - or not.

Nah, it wasn't that. The special ended on March 31st, but they were closed a few days before the end of the month for the Passover observance. Knowing I was going to order online when I knew the physical store would be closed, I emailed them beforehand to make sure I could still order online and get the discounted price (even if the order wouldn't be processed or shipped until after they returned). Yeah, I (thought I) planned this out well. :)

respect them for honoring the holidays

Sounds like the special ENDED at the end of March but they don't take order over Passover so.. you lose if you didnt have your order in BEFORE the start of passover (which was before the end of the month) sound more like the shopping cart software didn't quite know how to deal with this incongruity.. in a HAL9000 moment.. "I cant do that Dave"

That's cool that they respect religions and allow time off for different sects, although it sounds like it might be a bonus for any non-Jewish employees since they'd get both Jewish and their own holidays. :lol:

I don't know. Maybe I will give them a call. Maybe not. I mean, I thought it was very nice that the support offered to speak with a buyer on my behalf, and I did get a slight discount offer, just not the same price. I'll have to think about it. I am usually not the squeaky wheel type, even if it's politely, but I just may do so because I really want that camera and that extra three bills was going to be half of a Rode NTG-1 mic kit. :yes:

The B&H Family is very orthodox.

From Wikipedia:

The business is owned by Herman Schreiber. Schreiber and many of the store's employees are observant Satmar Hasidic Jews who close the store on Shabbat and Jewish holidays except for Hanukkah (Jewish law does not prohibit work during that holiday, except during Shabbat itself). The Web site is open, but orders are not taken or shipped between Friday evening and Saturday evening and on Jewish holidays. Surpassed only by the Diamond District in terms of Orthodox employment, the company is a vital part of the community's financial health, with hundreds of Orthodox Jews on staff. An Orthodox Jewish bus company provides daily service to and from Kiryas Joel, a Satmar village in Orange County, New York.

They also show respect for other religions, and close (or give time off to Christian employees) on the highest Christian holidays plus many of the federal holidays. It may be inconvenient to some, but I find their adherence to religious principles in our secular age rather refreshing.

They also take their relationships with their customer base very seriously. I have always received excellent customer service. The people I deal with have never BSed me, but gone in search of answers. (I have lots of respect for someone who says "I don't know.") So, selym, I would call them and very firmly - but very politely - ask to speak to a manager. Very calmly and politely explain what happened, how it affected you (and them since you didn't purchase the camera), how upset you were/are, and suggest that they more prominently display the terms and conditions of such special discount sales, such as showing that the sale ends on what specific date at what specific time. Maybe something will happen, maybe not. But any honest business truly appreciates the input, and maybe you will be rewarded - or not.

I am usually not the squeaky wheel type, even if it's politely, but I just may do so because I really want that camera and that extra three bills was going to be half of a Rode NTG-1 mic kit.
You might be able to talk them into a deal on the mic which would be about as much.

Back