the talkers and the walkers!

Just a tip to people visiting here:

1. spend 20% of your time maximum researching and chatting on the internet about filmmaking stuff
2. spend 80% minimum of your time making films or practising, iv seen people on here ask so many questions yet havent shown a damn thing? what i call a talker.

I use to be a talker spending more time on here than actually doing any filming, dont fall into this trap, Research is important, but experience will teach you more, This site is a great site of knowledge, also of opinions, but beware of peoples opinions, you may not like opinions, you may love them, but at the end of the day you are showing your media to people in the industry (non really major apart from a few) remember that, also there is a difference between showing your film to an audience and to another filmmaker, whose opinion do you value more?

So the point is get walking! (making films and stuff "walkers") stop talking and get on with it, dont bag up 1,000 posts with nothing to show for it?

This applies to people only who are wanting to make films with a passion.

Just a tip to people visiting here:

1. spend 20% of your time maximum researching and chatting on the internet about filmmaking stuff
2. spend 80% minimum of your time making films or practising, iv seen people on here ask so many questions yet havent shown a damn thing? what i call a talker.

I appreciate what you are saying and it is a good message to those who get in a rut, always planning and never doing anything.

However, I would say there are different stages. If you are a beginner, imho, you should be doing the exact opposite. Spend 80% of the time studying and researching and 20% filming. When you have a good handle on things and a some knowledge and experience under your belt, then go ahead and spend 80% filming and 20% researching.

Youtube is full of mediocre shorts because those film makers decided to just film without watching and learning the craft itself.

I've got to agree with 8salacious9 here. Even as a beginner you'll learn more by doing than by researching - although you certainly need both. Your research will be exponentially more valuable when it directly relates to an experience you had than it will when everything is still theoretical.

And the reality is you can really only focus your attention on learning and improving a few things at once in any given production. As you get better the things you had to focus on earlier become second nature and you start to do them without thinking, which frees you up to focus on learning/improving something new. So spending too much time on learning a bunch of theoretical things is largely wasted until you're able to get sufficient production experience to put them into practice.

And it's fine that youtube is full of mediocre shorts. Making mediocre shorts is a proven path to someday not make mediocre shorts. Whereas not making mediocre shorts is unlikely to lead to someday making great shorts. It's a necessary learning process, and as long as each film is measurably better in some respect than the one that came before it means you're making process and improving.

"It's terribly important to make terrible films" - Michael Mann, on the films he made in film school that he'll never show to anyone now. Of course the difference is with youtube everyone can see your terrible films, but there's a real value in putting things out there to gain some outside perspective on your work.

Last edited:
There's value in both, for different purposes. :hmm:

10K is the new black. :bag:

i should maybe rephrased some of my sentences there, but it seems there are more who are constantly talking, talking, talking and not doing enough, the new saying is that technology is keeping kids indoors rather than out playing.

i think the same applies here, but if someone is constantly being creative and making films and is able to post lots too then even better, just some people are determined to talk more than create.

It's alright to ask questions, but discovering things by experience is far more valuable, because it's not easy to forget your own experiences. While what you read can slip away easily...

Back