• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch What do you think of my logo?

I agree it's too long - if you want it long I think it needs to build more.

Compare to the Bruckheimer one where we get about 6-7 seconds of motion creating anticipation, then it resolves to the company name which holds for about 5 seconds. You already have the name on screen from the start, so we're just kind of staring at that for the entire 15 seconds.

And I personally don't like the movement of the main title text - it kind of looks like a mistake, as the text distorts oddly and the movement doesn't really contribute anything to the name or logo itself. It feels like you're trying to fill time by adding in extraneous animation.

So I'd say cut it in half and change the motion to something simpler that contributes to the build - maybe instead of just fading the text in have it fade & drop back from closer to the screen, as if it's moving backwards into space.

YouTube played nicely with the sound on this one after all. And I exported it at higher quality so that helped a bit, I'm sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXWCTznU1AE

Better? I cut out a good half of the intro, so now the only text movement is from the scaling. I think it looks a LOT better!

Thanks for the help, everyone!

OK! This one is two seconds shorter and the sound is much, much better now that I have fixed some of the issues. I slowed down some of the background movement, and also changed the last few frames.

It is the LAST revision I'm doing for now! It's about as perfect as I can get it! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z96eU3VZg7w

Again, thanks for the feedback and suggestions, everyone! :)

Last edited:
Nice work. I love how everyone worked together to shape this up (though of course you, yodaman, had to do the actual work). One thing that struck me when I saw the "penultimate version" was how much the cyan rectangle around everything made me think of the THX logo. That's kinda cool. THX is cool. Your logo calling up associations with THX (which is probably cool in most movie goers' minds) might not be a bad thing. And this association for me was less in the "last version." So...

I guess the question I might ask is, does anyone else get that? Or am I just the weird one out? If I'm not, I wonder if you want that kind of trademark "dilution" subtly going on in your logo? If it is going on.

On the other hand, I wonder if perhaps I wouldn't see the THX logo "within" your logo if I had never seen the "penultimate version," but only the "final version."

And I guess they used that cyan rectangle for the old versions of the THX logo, though. Maybe people have forgotten it, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqhRzPLXu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfg9DVwOd9w

Nice work. I love how everyone worked together to shape this up (though of course you, yodaman, had to do the actual work). One thing that struck me when I saw the "penultimate version" was how much the cyan rectangle around everything made me think of the THX logo. That's kinda cool. THX is cool. Your logo calling up associations with THX (which is probably cool in most movie goers' minds) might not be a bad thing. And this association for me was less in the "last version." So...

I guess the question I might ask is, does anyone else get that? Or am I just the weird one out? If I'm not, I wonder if you want that kind of trademark "dilution" subtly going on in your logo?

The cyan rectangle was indeed a reference to to the THX logo - and if you listen closely to the sound mix as well, you'll notice a similar "sweeping" sound underneath the tinkling, though of course it's not at all the same sound as I didn't want to get sued. :P

That's also why in the final version, instead of just having the text surrounded by the cyan rectangle, I made it "shrink" the overall image. I wanted it to look similar but be very different at the same time, and that's how I was able to manage it!

Hey everybody,

I had two days off of work and spent most of the time just relaxing, and then 6 hours today designing a new logo (with new and original music) under a brand new name, one that I really can't believe hasn't been taken yet - "digiTALE films".

Logo is here, BE SURE TO WATCH IN HD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwO1g0TnTRo

It's still a bit long, but I'm REALLY happy with how it turned out - I only started on it at 2pm today, and I finished it, composed music for it, gave it grain from Gorilla Grain, and uploaded it all before 8:15 pm tonight (two minutes before I post this)!.

What do you think? I know it could use some improvements, but it's designed to purposefully feel old and imperfect. I really like it! But I am open to suggestions. :D

In all honestly, it feels less 'retro and imperfect' than it does a trailer for windows movie maker. I think keep it as simple as possible, because the more you try and get fancy with it, the more amateurish it comes across. I know that's probably annoying to hear after investing a lot of time into it, but that's just my thoughts.

...What? How on earth does this advertise Windows Movie Maker?

Unless you're talking about the text zooming out at the end, I really have no idea what you mean.

Sorry if that came across as overly harsh. Possibly an abstract image, but that's what immediately came to mind for me - an advertisement for WMM effects.

Anyway, the end is less bad. The colour choices and the background don't do much for me, and the film reel animation feels wrong. The zoom at the end isn't great, but that's more a timing issue I think. I think the text stretching also goes on a little too long. The font and text animation is mostly fine, though. It does come across as dated, but not the way you're going for i don't think. It feels more late 90's/early 2000's, whereas the music seems to be trying to evoke something more of 80's video games.

This is just my opinion, others may like it.

Last edited:
The film reel animation was originally a lot faster, but as a result you couldn't really see it, so I slowed it down until people behind me (my brother and a friend) told me they could finally make out what it was. I still think it could've been faster, but it did blur quite a bit.

As for the background, there wasn't much else I could do, at least in terms of animating it since it was a generated effect in Motion 5. :P

I can see it working in the late '90s/early 2000s as well, now that you mention it. :P

Anyway, thanks for the honest feedback! I didn't mean to sound offended - I was more confused by what you meant, and was trying to figure it out. I guess I can sort of see it, but it's been so long since I've used WMM I have no idea what it was like anymore. :P

OK, I did some revisions and I think it came out a lot better! Just needs better sound and I think it's pretty much good to go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQifNGysJps

Some of the text isn't aligned in the center properly, I'm not sure why that is seeing as I didn't change it at all... I think the motion of the film in the first one distracted from it, but I'm not about to re-render everything for just a 2-pixel move (because things also wouldn't have been 100% perfect back in the day anyway!).

I also shortened it by two seconds and sped the film animation up again, looks a lot better I think!

The second version feels better to me, and has more of an 80s video intro feel - except for the motion where the title & filmstrips land on the screen. It feels a little too quick, or abrupt, and not period appropriate.

I agree with you, ItDonnedOnMe - it is abrupt and doesn't quite feel right.

However, I've tried simple fade-ins and such, and it just doesn't do the trick. I tried doing some "fancy" animations with the camera, but it just over-complicated things and it looked a lot worse. Too much erratic movement.

I think I'll leave it as-is, but I'll probably adjust the text because that is bothering me. :P I might look over som '80s-style logos and see if I can get inspiration.

New Line Cinema's logo kind of inspired this one (at least in terms of the color scheme and filmstips), in case anybody wondered. :P

can you change the easing on the move? it just snaps into place too sharply, which gives it a computer-animated feel. If you can keep the same move but just soften the landing a bit I think it would be better.

Ah, that is a solution previously un-thunk by me! I will try that and see where it goes. Perhaps combined with a nice fade it will work great!

So I couldn't change the easing-in too much without it throwing the whole animation off - I forogot I had done that by changing the camera's field-of view (which I originally did to make the particles shrink but look like they're expanding at the same time), so I opted for a fade in/fade out instead, and it's actually quite nice looking!

I also changed the sound because people described the last one as "noisy", and I agreed, so I changed it up!

Result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egD5C8BggZY

What do you think?

Last edited:
Back