Important question! Can you send your film into festival review with any music ?

here's why . No one would pay festival rights before being accepted.

But if you send your film to them with the music you want just for the review panel is there anything wrong with that? I dont see an alternative

I'm not going to afford anything until acceptance. But can you answer? It's aloud yes?

Some festivals allow you to send a work-in-progress copy for review, yes. It will vary from fetsival to festival, so you'll have to check with each one first, though.

Good luck. :)

is there anything wrong with that?

I believe mostly yes. You usually have to agree that you own the rights to use all the materials in what you're submitting. I'm not sure if it's a crime if you misrepresent this. Anyone a lawyer want to chime in? Could you get done for fraud for this or would this be civil only?

Your argument is similar to, "I'm just going to make a movie cut from scenes of other films and submit that. If they accept, I'll go out and shoot those scenes.... She'll be right? right?"

here's why . No one would pay festival rights before being accepted.

But if you send your film to them with the music you want just for the review panel is there anything wrong with that? I dont see an alternative

catch22:

without music the film is not the same.
Adding music after acceptance may make them even feel bad about their choice, because it even has the power to kill the film.
But having the right music in place will help you to get in...

Do I see you're doubting it's good enough to be accepted? ;)

Last edited:
We are the directors of a film festival in Florida. We, like many other festivals, will only judge entries that are complete and finished. Therefore, a "work-in-progress"...one without music for example...will not be considered. A finished and complete project is the only way to answer the final question of whether a film is good or bad...promises don't count.

I'm not going to afford anything until acceptance.

If you can't currently afford to pay for the music rights, then you'll need to either source different music, or wait until you can afford the rights.
What happens if your film gets accepted and you're unable to secure the rights to the music? Or the rights change in price?

I believe mostly yes. You usually have to agree that you own the rights to use all the materials in what you're submitting. I'm not sure if it's a crime if you misrepresent this. Anyone a lawyer want to chime in? Could you get done for fraud for this or would this be civil only?

Your argument is similar to, "I'm just going to make a movie cut from scenes of other films and submit that. If they accept, I'll go out and shoot those scenes.... She'll be right? right?"

its not similar at all bud. I'm going to show a work in progress as i want it. they like it i pay for the music

If you can't currently afford to pay for the music rights, then you'll need to either source different music, or wait until you can afford the rights.
What happens if your film gets accepted and you're unable to secure the rights to the music? Or the rights change in price?

i meant i'm not going to pay until then... if i cant afford some things so what?

i meant i'm not going to pay until then... if i cant afford some things so what?

I don't understand why you would ask a question then argue with answers that don't align with what you wanted to hear..

If you want commercial music in your film you will have to license it at one point or another, even if you put it into YouTube.

If you don't want to pay for music unless your film gets accepted into a festival, am I to assume you have no other plans for distribution other than film festivals?

its not similar at all bud. I'm going to show a work in progress as i want it. they like it i pay for the music

Ok, try this. Look at entry requirements of festivals you're looking at entering. Do they accept works in progress?

catch22:

without music the film is not the same.
Adding music after acceptance may make them even feel bad about their choice, because it even has the power to kill the film.
But having the right music in place will help you to get in...

Do I see you're doubting it's good enough to be accepted? ;)

have to plan for the worst right?

We are the directors of a film festival in Florida. We, like many other festivals, will only judge entries that are complete and finished. Therefore, a "work-in-progress"...one without music for example...will not be considered. A finished and complete project is the only way to answer the final question of whether a film is good or bad...promises don't count.

i'm not sure you understood. I would send you the the film with music. The rights dont have to be paid just for the reviewers do they. You can hash it out with the first commenter of this thread then

I don't understand why you would ask a question then argue with answers that don't align with what you wanted to hear..

If you want commercial music in your film you will have to license it at one point or another, even if you put it into YouTube.

If you don't want to pay for music unless your film gets accepted into a festival, am I to assume you have no other plans for distribution other than film festivals?

well im learning.. and thinking of options. No one on here has including myself wants or has just blindly taken a chance spending thousands to secure rights and then wasnt accepted to festival. Distribution rights for the songs i want will cost quite a lot i think. So i want to get the film out there to get help for music.

film festival is the way for that

Ok, try this. Look at entry requirements of festivals you're looking at entering. Do they accept works in progress?

work in progress is wrong word. I m showing the movie as a i want it at some point to people without compromise. To acquire help with music i probably cant afford.

Back