Interscholastic Competitive Filmmaking

Uhh, I think I may have just found my next calling. This idea just popped into my head earlier today, so I of course need more time to let it bounce around, and I'll need to talk to a bunch of other people on how to make it work. But I think this may be a thing worth pursuing, because the world needs it. :D

For many years, I've rejected the idea of filmmaking as a competition. In the last half year or so, I've been trying to figure out how to reach out to local youth in my area, particularly those who are underprivileged, in hopes of showing them that they too can make movies. It just dawned on me today that competition might actually be the golden key.

Many high school students love interscholastic competition. The first interscholastic competitions that come to mind would be sports-related, but there are many others that don't get a lot of public attention but have many people passionately involved in them. Debate-team is the most obvious example, but there are many others. Why can't filmmaking be one of them?

I'm barely beginning figuring out how to make this work, logistically. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it work. :D

Your thoughts?

Back