Star Trek is losing its fanbase.

This article quotes what William Shatner says, and , while I'm not a fan of Shatner, he's got it right - the old stories worked on several levels, and the current crop of movies are not doing that.

And therein lies my opportunity.

Good read. I like the new movies. They entertain me even if a lot of into darkness made my eyes roll a bit. Its got enough flash bang to make me watch it again and again.

Wrath of Khan is still my fav though.

Still a fan as well, although I'm not a 'trekkie'.
Remember, the article also discribes the anger of the fanbase when TNG was announced.
And there is some resentment about the fact that fans where being lied to about Into Darkness and the 'tribute' to The Wrath of Kahn seems to be blasphemy.

BTW, you always seem to see opportunity is declining fanbases for Star Trek and Star Wars.
I think that if you are waiting for those fanbases to be destroyed, you'll never make anything.
I think that larger fanbases provide a larger potential for success, unless you demand your fanbase to denounce their previous fandoms. ;)

BTW, you always seem to see opportunity is declining fanbases for Star Trek and Star Wars.
I think that if you are waiting for those fanbases to be destroyed, you'll never make anything.
I think that larger fanbases provide a larger potential for success, unless you demand your fanbase to denounce their previous fandoms. ;)

I don't want them to be destroyed, because they are my inspiration. My goal is to produce sci-fi films, and, if the two will not fulfill a certain niche, I hope to fulfill it.

I haven't done anything because I'm putting my money aside. This is going to take time, but I have no choice - if I want to be a mogul, I have to establish a capital base.

I'm going to LA either this weekend or sometime next month. Anyone wanna meet me? :)

It's fascinating to me that AM reads that article and takes away from
it that Star Trek is losing its fan base. Almost everything in that article
shows how huge the fan base is. Some fans “were furious” over ST:TNG
and it went on to be very popular. One fan says all the fans he knows
didn't like “Into Darkness” because of Spock yelling “Khan!” yet the film
went on to earn 400 million.

More and more fans are making fan films, the conventions are huge, the
reboots have brought in new fans. And now the Chinese are getting in
on Star Trek which will only grow the fan base.

No doubt some fans are upset; die-hard fans typically dislike any change
and are very vocal about it. But most are “die-hard” and stick with it. I
suspect that every fan quoted in that article not liking “Into Darkness”
will pay to see “Beyond”. And it will draw new fans to Star Trek. Star Trek
is changing. It's not Roddenberry’s 1960's Trek anymore.

AM, your opportunity does not lay in the demise of the Star Trek fan base.
If Trek keeps and grows its fan base your opportunity remains the same.
You do seem to be saying that as ST looses its fan base your opportunity
grows. I believe the more ST keeps its fan base the better your opportunity is.

I don't know, I've been losing interest in Star Trek since the end of the original cast films, which ended rather poorly. Remember "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier?" No, you like me have probably blotted it out of your memory like a bad night out on the town with tequila. Of course "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" redeems the series before they hand over the reigns to Next Generation. I got season 5 of Next Generation from the library and tried to watch it with my daughter. It is so ungodly slow and talky that it bored both of us to tears. I remember watching them when they were originally aired, too. The show always had an antiseptic, dull quality to it. The Borg storyline was good, however.

I don't think the newer Abrams films make it worse, but that Into Darkness rehash of Khan was pretty stupid. Oh, wait, he did the same thing with Star Wars rehashing the first film as well. Dude, dude, dude. Can you not hire actual writers that can come up with new shit like your first Star Trek reboot? That's a great story. Love Spock's part in it, too. More of that please, hmmm?

Take his statements with a grain of salt. The one subject that William Shatner knows the least about is definitely Star Trek

I'm on Rik's side here: your opportunity is the same or even larger when Star Trek's popularity grows.
It's not like you are building a new facebook that needs facebook to collapse in order to succeed yourself, just like MySpace turnt to dust.

Your franchise should be able to stand on it's own feet and gain fans. Otherwise you'll risk being labeled as a wannabe ripoff.
I watch Star Wars AND Star Trek, Game of Thrones AND Vikings.

(If I would be in LA I would suggest getting some pho with ox tail at Pho 79 in Westminster (Hazard Ave, Brookhurst str). But I'm 'stuck' in Europe now, taking care of my ex' cat while she visits her sister in California.)

It's fascinating to me that AM reads that article and takes away from
it that Star Trek is losing its fan base. Almost everything in that article
shows how huge the fan base is. Some fans “were furious” over ST:TNG
and it went on to be very popular. One fan says all the fans he knows
didn't like “Into Darkness” because of Spock yelling “Khan!” yet the film
went on to earn 400 million.

I think they are losing the dedicated fans like me. They may gain a different fan base, which is larger and more lucrative, but they're losing the ones that kept it alive.

AM, your opportunity does not lay in the demise of the Star Trek fan base.
If Trek keeps and grows its fan base your opportunity remains the same.
You do seem to be saying that as ST looses its fan base your opportunity
grows. I believe the more ST keeps its fan base the better your opportunity is.

Yes and no. My market niche involves the type of sci-fi that is not often explored - the thought experiments, and, as you say, the effect of those experiments on the characters.

Wanna meet?

The latest Star Trek movie is doing poorly, and that may be because it's all action adventure, with no focus on ideas or characters.

I have been saying this all along. :cool:

The latest Star Trek movie is doing poorly, and that may be because it's all action adventure, with no focus on ideas or characters.

I have been saying this all along. :cool:

I thought there were some quite nice character moments. Was the movie dumb? Yes. Was it fun? Yes it was. I was entertained. I want Discovery to be more the Trek of old. I would like a real thinker of a Star Trek movie. But for now, I'm enjoying these ridiculous ones.

I thought there were some quite nice character moments. Was the movie dumb? Yes. Was it fun? Yes it was. I was entertained. I want Discovery to be more the Trek of old. I would like a real thinker of a Star Trek movie. But for now, I'm enjoying these ridiculous ones.

Paul,

Absolutely we should enjoy ridiculous ones - the original series had its tribbles and Chicago mobsters, which was all harmless fun. But they should not be the only types of stories we see on film and TV now.

Paul,

Absolutely we should enjoy ridiculous ones - the original series had its tribbles and Chicago mobsters, which was all harmless fun. But they should not be the only types of stories we see on film and TV now.

That's why I'm hoping Discovery will be a bit more of a bonce botherer.

Back