NEW LENS :) Samyang 14mm

Just got the samyang 14mm photo version lens for my canon 600d, oh my what a lens, the wide angle i get is insane, ok its not true wide coz of the crop sensor but its bloody wide enough.

I will post some pics and vids a bit later.

there are lots of pros and cons about this lens i can see already.

firstly it seems that exposure reading isnt quite accurate, your footage/pics will come out darker than what you see so you have to over expose a bit than what you would.

however quality is beautiful, focus ring is smooth, but it is difficult to get focus bang on, it takes some practice which im doing at the moment but when you do its well worth it, also the focus tends to be unoticable when moving back and forth when the object is a bit further away.

where the lens does suffer though is bright skies, this could be because im not used to adjusting its settings properly but the sky really blows out the image unless you have a really high shutter speed which wasnt really a problem with my 50mm lens.

but would i recommend this lens to someone? well i got it for £290 that includes next day delivery by 1pm from ukdigital.com I took a chance on them as they looked iffy but actually i phoned up and the guy was great ordered online everything went great, no complaints from me.

so for you wide angle virgins, get this lens!

next lens on my list is either the 35mm samyang or the 85mm samyang im undecided as of yet.

It's great for sure!

The sky-ground contrast ratio you're talking about isn't in the lens, that's a camera/sensor issue. Dynamic range is the term, where a wide or high dynamic range helps you see bright and dark areas without losing information. That's where RAW somes in handy. You can adjust the image in post to where the sky AND ground come out nicely.

Hi,

Ive been looking at Samyang lenses for a while, i did hire one a while ago think it was a 24mm and found the same issue with the exposure reading not being correct... is this because its a manual lens?

Would using the Magic Lantern histogram etc help with getting a correct exposure? rather than rely on the built in exposure meter?

I did love the lens when I tried it out though and that was my only issue, I'm glad you have the same issue in a way as I now know its not something to do with my camera (600d also)

It's great for sure!

The sky-ground contrast ratio you're talking about isn't in the lens, that's a camera/sensor issue. Dynamic range is the term, where a wide or high dynamic range helps you see bright and dark areas without losing information. That's where RAW somes in handy. You can adjust the image in post to where the sky AND ground come out nicely.

Thanks for the knowledge I'm getting used to it now managing to get in between what I'd like.

Hi,

Ive been looking at Samyang lenses for a while, i did hire one a while ago think it was a 24mm and found the same issue with the exposure reading not being correct... is this because its a manual lens?

Would using the Magic Lantern histogram etc help with getting a correct exposure? rather than rely on the built in exposure meter?

I did love the lens when I tried it out though and that was my only issue, I'm glad you have the same issue in a way as I now know its not something to do with my camera (600d also)

I don't know how to use a histogram if I'm honest, I just look and see by eye, so yeah overexposure slightly is the way forward

Hi,

The histogram on ML is a blessing. As any histogram on any monitor. The LCD screen is not enough to judge exposure.

That being said, I'm looking forward for some footage !

Hey!Congratulations!

Are you going to post any test footage anytime soon? I am thinking of getting Samyang 14mm + Samyang 35mm T1.5 but I am still not sure , what do you think ?

il have to figure out about the filter set up, i have no money at the moment to be thinking of such things, but a polarizer is definitely something im looking for, il look for some examples on how to set it up for the samyang lens.

also il have some footage later today, im on 2nd day of shooting a music vid all around central london should be fun.

972189_382359788550417_1077103727_n.jpg

934942_382359768550419_683114166_n.jpg

946770_381687578617638_1533275251_n.jpg

Or a few step up rings to build away from the front of the lens, and help prevent filter burn in the corners.

Because of the domed glass it doesn't even have threads for step up rings. In fact I'm not even sure the lens hood is removable on that lens. I know cokin has an adapter that screws down to the outside of a lens, and allows you to mount one of the filter holders, but you're going to end up $300 in before you even get to the filters. Unfortunately those ultrawide lenses are just a pain to deal with from a filter standpoint.

Back