• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

No Title sequence?

Hello

I'm editing my Short Film, and I don't thing there is anywhere suitable for the Title of the film to be inserted, except at closing credits....Is this acceptable, or will it be of putting for festivals?

I don't understand your question. Your title sequence can simply be a black screen and the title of your film in white with a cool font before the actual movie starts.

I don't understand your question. Your title sequence can simply be a black screen and the title of your film in white with a cool font before the actual movie starts.

Putting a title sequence in, doesn't look right, for the film at beginning...question is, does title sequence have to be included in start, or around the start

It's good to introduce your title sooner than later. There has to be room to put your title. What do you mean by it doesn't look right? Are you talking about a five-second introduction or just a wording with your title appear on the screen?

I have put the title at the end in shorts before.
So, if you feel that the title or any credits in the beginning is unwanted or not fitting, feel free to put it at the end.
It is a short.
I'm not aware what length we are talking about in your case.
In my case it was a 6 minute short. We had writing and acting credits in the opening scene, but we put the title after the ending and then full credit roll.
Sometimes showing the title can be part of the pay-off of a short.

It's good to introduce your title sooner than later. There has to be room to put your title. What do you mean by it doesn't look right? Are you talking about a five-second introduction or just a wording with your title appear on the screen?

Just a wording...hard to explain, but film begins with quick scene, then it goes to a police interview scene, which stretches bulk of the film...think it works better with Film title at end...

What works for YOU, works.

If it's at a film fest, we know the title from the printed program, or marquee.
If it's on TV, there are menus that didn't exist many years ago that have all the details.
If's it's on YouTube the title is right there!

It is not needed. Do your thing!

many thanks for the replies and advice.....films 11mins, called 'Case 210', but start of intveriew scene Police Inspector says 'Case 210' when talking into the recorder....so think il keep title til the end...thanks again

So what is so wrong with putting the title the moment the inspector says Case 210? For example, in the top right-hand corner of the screen to present it. A title sequence doesn't have to be anything special.

So what is so wrong with putting the title the moment the inspector says Case 210? For example, in the top right-hand corner of the screen to present it. A title sequence doesn't have to be anything special.

But a bad one drags the whole short down.
Just like pure red, green or blue Arial or Comic Sans titles make the whole movie like the work of an amateur.
For short films I prefer to work with graphic designers for the titles, because it does make a difference.
(For corporate prpjects I also want to work with graphic designers, but that is often beyond the client's budget, alas.)

you only "need" to put it somewhere if youre in a union or guild with rules about it.

In star wars (a new hope) it opens with "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away" instead of credits and the opening is so iconic!! Do what is best for your film.

EDIT: Removed fake rumor

Last edited:
In star wars (a new hope) it opens with "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away" and they were fined because that's against the rules not to have any title/credit sequence.
Ahhh, one of the often repeated myths surrounding the "Star Wars"
films.

There is no rule that a film must have a title credit sequence. The
misunderstanding is from "The Empire Strikes Back"; the DGA
agreement states that the directors name will be "on a separate card
which shall be the last title card before the first scene of the picture".
On behalf of Irvin Kershner the DGA filed against LucasFilm because
his name appeared at the end of the film. The film was not changed,
the DGA agreement was. Today section 8-301 reads: "on a separate
card which shall be the last title card before the first scene of the
picture or the first title card following the last scene of the picture."

None of the unions or guilds has any wording about where a title
sequence is placed.

The original 70mm release of "Apocalypse Now" had no credits. Beginning
or end. "Manhattan" has no opening title. "Schizopolis" doesn't have
have an opening title. I think "Inside Llewyn Davis" doesn't. And there
are dozens of movies that show only the title and no credit sequence.

So I agree with our Founder; not having a title will not be disqualify
a movie from a festival. I believe it might be off putting to judges and
audiences. Not having a title at all is very unusual.

Back