Recommended filmmaking and sound books.

Hi I get a university grant to buy books could anyone recommend any on cinematography and sound design, especially how to books. Any good book really to do with filmmaking. I hope to purchase my first DSLR towards Christmas so could possible do with some literature on that subject. These are the books I already have-
Movie makers master class, Laurent Tirard.
On filmmaking, Alexander Mackenorick.
The Film Sense, Serge Eisenstein
In the blink of an eye, murch.
On Directing Film, David Mamet.
Film Form, Eisenstein.
Directing Actors, Weston.
The filmmakers book of the dead, Draven.
Filmmaking, Tomaric.
Cinematic Storytelling, Van Sijll.
Master Shots, Kenworthy.
Thanks for any recommendations.:)

I'm a sound guy, so here's my list of books about sound for picture:

Sound and Vision - Michael Chion
The Location Sound Bible - Ric Viers
The Sound Effects Bible - Ric Viers
The Foley Grail - Vanessa Ament
Dialog Editing - John Purcell
The Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound - David Yedall
Sound Design - David Sonnenschien

I agree with Alcove on those that I have read from his list:
The Location Sound Bible - Ric Viers
The Sound Effects Bible - Ric Viers
Dialog Editing - John Purcell
The Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound - David Yedall
Sound Design - David Sonnenschien

I have personally gotten a great deal out of the two from Ric Viers but that is because of the area of sound I am working in. Ric and David also teach webinars from time to time. I found one of these a great value.

Hi I get a university grant to buy books could anyone recommend any on cinematography and sound design, especially how to books.

There aren't any good "how to" books on Sound Design in my opinion, although you might find the aforementioned book by David Sonnenschien useful as it deals quite well with psycho-acoustics which is a vital element of sound design. An area of audio post which isn't covered at all in books is the actual mixing of a film's sound. Editing Dialogue for Motion Pictures by John Purcell is the must read of the bunch in my opinion, try to get the recently released second edition.

G

Back