Balanced vs Unbalanced Audio

Every so often on indietalk, when advice is sought about microphones, the issue of balanced and unbalanced is brought up. The advice is always; to get a balanced mic and recorder. This is because a balanced connection greatly reduces interference. In this post I'll try to explain simply what balanced audio signals are, how they work and why they are so much better.

When recording on set the audio signal captured by the mic has to be transferred to a mixer, audio recording device or the camera through a connecting cable. There are two ways of doing this, through a balanced line or through an unbalanced line. The most obvious difference visually is that a balanced signal requires three wires whereas an unbalanced signal only requires two. The industry standard for balanced signals is the XLR connector, which has 3 pins (or 3 holes in the female connector). Here's a picture of XLR connectors.

220px-Xlr-connectors.jpg

The 3 wires inside a balanced audio cable are called Hot (red wire), Cold (blue wire) and Earth (bare wire). An unbalanced cable only has Hot and Earth. The audio signal in an unbalanced cable is simply passed down the red wire to the receiving equipment, say the mini jack input on a DSLR. The balanced signal is a little more complicated and requires additional circuitry on the transmitting equipment (say a mic) and additional circuitry on the receiving equipment (say an audio recorder). The circuitry in a mic with a balanced output copies the signal captured by the mic, inverts it's phase and passes this (out of phase) signal down the Cold (blue) wire. The original (in phase) signal is passed down the Hot (red wire). Here is a diagram showing an example of an original analogue audio signal, which would be passed down the Hot (red) wire and the "out of phase" signal created by the balanced circuitry which would be passed down the Cold (blue) wires.

Sine.png

Notice how the Cold (blue) signal is out of phase with the Hot (red) signal. For example; where the hot signal has a value of +50 the cold signal has a value of -50. Now let's introduce some interference across the cable, marked as green on the diagram below. The interference could be from any number of electrical devices or devices which transmit radio frequencies (such as mobile phones) or electro-magnetic interference (such as a power line). Bare in mind, we are talking about interference through the cable (connecting mic to recorder), not about electrical type sound (such as the hum of a fridge) which is picked up by the mic itself.

SineInter.png

The balanced circuitry in the receiving equipment (say a recorder) takes the cold signal and inverts it's phase (so it's now back in phase with the hot signal) and then sums together the Hot and Cold signals. The diagram below shows the state of the signals after the Cold signal has been phase inverted by the recorder's balanced circuirty, just before the Hot and Cold signals are summed together.

SineCMR.png

I've drawn a black line, purely as a reference point. At the black line, the value of the red (original) signal is +50, the value of our blue signal is also +50, sum these together and the result is a combined signal with a value of +100. Now do the same with the 2 interference (green) signals. What is the result? ......

In fact, wherever you draw the black line, the result of summing together the two interference signals is always zero. This principle is called Common Mode Rejection (CMR). Now, imagine an unbalanced signal by just ignoring the bottom half of the diagram. Our wanted (red) signal value is +50 and our unwanted interference (green) signal is +25, compared to balanced values of +100 and zero!

The longer the cable the more likely we are to get interference, exactly how long depends on the environment and how contaminated it is with RF (Radio frequency) or EM (Electro-Magnetic) interference. However, due to CMR the balanced cable rejects this interference. In practice an unbalanced cable should never exceed 5 meters (about 16ft), anything over 3 meters (about 10ft) is taking a risk and you could run into problems with just 2 meters (roughly 6ft) of unbalanced cable. In theory (given good quality cable and a strong enough original signal) a balanced cable could be up to 7 miles in length!! I'm sure you'll agree that CMR is very effective!

From all this you will have noticed a couple of things: First of all, just having an XLR cable will not give you a balanced signal. You need the balanced circuitry in both the mic and the recorder to employ the CMR technology, so you can't just use say a mini-jack to XLR converter. Secondly, equipment which has this balancing circuitry obviously costs more money than audio equipment which doesn't. Particularly with regards to mics and recorders, only having unbalanced connectors is indicative of the very lowest budget/quality audio equipment.

Hope this is useful,

G

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing that. Can't say I understand it all, but hopefully I get enough of the gist of it. So, why would anyone want unbalanced equipment? Simply to save money? Or are there reasons that make it desirable for some users or for some purposes?

Can't say I understand it all, but hopefully I get enough of the gist of it. So, why would anyone want unbalanced equipment? Simply to save money?

It's actually pretty simple, just difficult to explain and it isn't helped by technical sounding terminology. For example, inverting the phase effectively means just turning the waveform upside down. When you invert the phase of a signal and add (sum) it with the original you get phase cancellation (silence) because the values are always opposite. For example when the original signal value is say 25 the inverted phase signal would have a value of -25.

Yes, unbalanced equipment is to save money. Professional equipment is balanced, consumer equipment is usually unbalanced. For some applications it doesn't matter so much, for example an unbalanced signal from your amp to your speakers. However, for mics unbalanced is very bad because mics output a very small signal which needs to be greatly amplified, so any interference in the cable is also greatly amplified.

G

This concept is the one big reason I spent the money and upgraded my entire audio capture system. After we shot French Onion, my cheap CFL lights that I used to rave about killed my sound... irretrievably. To complete the project, I'd have to have all of my actors in for a 100% ADR session. I turned it into a audio educational talking point instead.

As soon as you put that cheap unbalanced microphone on a boom, the cable running down the boom pole becomes a giant antenna that you're waving around set. Picking up any interference that's around (doesn't even have to be in the same room, a ceiling fan downstairs throws enough RF from its electric motor to pollute your dialog with full spectrum interference noise. The kind you can't scrub out in post.

Save up, bite the bullet and switch from your unbalanced system (mini plug -- like a little headphone jack) to something balanced (XLR pictured above) and you'll never regret the purchase. All the rest is practice and analysis to learn to get the microphone pointed at the right places at the right times.

As soon as you put that cheap unbalanced microphone on a boom, the cable running down the boom pole becomes a giant antenna that you're waving around set. Picking up any interference that's around (doesn't even have to be in the same room, a ceiling fan downstairs throws enough RF from its electric motor to pollute your dialog with full spectrum interference noise. The kind you can't scrub out in post.

Just to be clear, if you've understood the OP, you would realise that the balanced cable also "becomes a giant antenna that you're waving around set. Picking up any interference that's around". The difference is, when that interference goes through the balanced circuitry in your recorder (or mixer) it is phase cancelled out of existence!

There should be no confusion that the difference in quality between a balanced cable and an unbalanced cable is NOT what improves the signal quality by rejecting the interference, it's the CMR circuitry (in the mic and recorder).

I know you already know all this Knightly, I just wanted to make it absolutely clear for anyone else reading this who may not have grasped the principle of a balanced signal.

G

Last edited:
Oh, so does that also mean, then, that CFL and LED lights aren't so good for audio capture in filmmaking, after all? Should we be sticking with tungsten and HMI? Or, is it no problem, if you have balanced audio equipment?

They're fine so long as you have the equipment to deal with the specific problems (CFLs, not LEDs).

I personally don't like the quality of light of the CFLs and LEDs (or fluos at all -- fluos to milky and weird colored even the balanced lights and LEDs look sanitary and chalky to me -- http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/234-the-problem-with-led-lighting-video )

I'm a tungsten guy at this point... makes life so much easier for me. I'll still use the others if I want crappy looking light for some reason... perhaps a sickly character or a room that makes the audience uncomfortable... just don't like them.

I personally don't like the quality of light of the CFLs and LEDs (or fluos at all -- fluos to milky and weird colored even the balanced lights and LEDs look sanitary and chalky to me -- http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/234-the-problem-with-led-lighting-video )

I'm a tungsten guy at this point... makes life so much easier for me. I'll still use the others if I want crappy looking light for some reason... perhaps a sickly character or a room that makes the audience uncomfortable... just don't like them.

This is so off topic, but anyway:

I've never used CFLs so couldn't tell you what they look like. LEDs are okay for highlight lits, but I wouldn't light a person with them. The colour spikes are weird, the falloff is too sudden and the quality of light I just do not like at all. Probably to do with the high CRI of a lot of LED fixtures, at least the low cost ones - I'd be more than happy with an array of Arri L7's, but lower cost LEDs do not look or work anything like the L7 series.

Kino flos are great, especially as an inherently softer source of light. As long as you have new, matched, correct colour temp tubes in you'll be fine and you can get a really nice look out of them. The best thing about Kinos is you can have them either natively daylight or natively tungsten, both at the same power and dimmable though the colour does weird things if you start to dim it too much).

HMIs are great for powerful lighting, and lighting a large area. They look a lot better than a tungsten lamp with CTB over the top of it.

Tungsten lamps are the workhorses of the industry, and look great, especially on skin tones.

Back on topic:

A long time ago, I used to do a lot of events and the like, often shooting bands or concerts and I found even mid-range audio setups would provide us with long unbalanced runs as a sound feed (does it really cost that much for a desk with balanced XLR out?). I bought two DIs so even if we were supplied with unbalanced, I could chuck a DI on a short unbalanced run and then run balanced XLR as long as we needed.

This is soA long time ago, I used to do a lot of events and the like, often shooting bands or concerts and I found even mid-range audio setups would provide us with long unbalanced runs as a sound feed (does it really cost that much for a desk with balanced XLR out?).

No it doesn't, I dispute that the setups you found were "mid-range". Even the lowest budget professional audio gear provides balanced inputs/outputs. I've done a great deal of live events (many hundreds) in my time and never came across unbalanced setups. If you come across unbalanced setups, guaranteed you are dealing with the lowest budget amateurs!

G

No it doesn't, I dispute that the setups you found were "mid-range". Even the lowest budget professional audio gear provides balanced inputs/outputs. I've done a great deal of live events (many hundreds) in my time and never came across unbalanced setups. If you come across unbalanced setups, guaranteed you are dealing with the lowest budget amateurs!

G

I always handed them a wireless transmitter and had them feed that with the unbalanced out. No cable clutter, straight into the camera, didn't cost too much and solved that problem. I also had VHF when everybody had gone UHF, so the frequencies I was using were clear, but I had 2 or 3 options just in case.

This is an excellent post. I have always known the quality difference between balanced and unbalanced but have never really understood why. As always I appreciate the time you and Alcove take to educate us.

Thanks AudioPostExpert

Best Regards,

NoiseNinja
Kurt A. Kroh

I have had unbalanced feeds from large professional desks at concerts simply because the FOH engineer is using the balanced outs or just being a bit lazy. I have come across hostile FOH mixers (despite the station I was getting the feed for organising the concert and hence generated their job). I decided to forgo the long run to camera and placed a stereo recorder on the end of the shortest leads I could feasibly use. That itself led to more problems as the mixer was then worried about the consequent recording finding itself onto the bootleg market.

Back