• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Pro Tools VS Nuendo

Pro Tools.

Since I am a studio catering to paying clients it's expected. It's also the most widely used and well supported (by third parties) audio post platform out there. I also use Digital Performer and occasionally Logic.

It doesn't matter what I use or what anyone else uses. Unless you are going to make audio post your career choose whichever platform fits your style and your budget.

When I used my computer just as a multi-track, I liked Cubase. As I started doing more intensive MIDI stuff, I switched to Sonar. I upgraded Sonar because I was having problems with the Virus plugin and have been regretting it since. X1 is terrible and while some of the patches are fixing the problems, it's slow going and I'm not sure I'm going to stick it out. Working on a super-low budget, but may go back to Cubase. Sonar 8.5 was pretty nice though, and VERY customizable.

Protools is the standard but I personally love Nuendo. Its much more intuitive than PT. You will get the same results with both packages depending on your skill level. If you need to share your project files, PTwill be easier.

Use whichever fits into your production pipeline.

Logic and Pro Tools are all well and good. People generally look past the free software that is Audacity. It's an audio editing/mixing program that you can do some really nice stuff with. It might not be amazing for scoring, but fantastic for mixing and matching sound effects. I've used it to mix and tweak some sound effects before on a short, and the finished product turned out really well.

There is actually a new product called Pro Trax Scores and its awesome because you can edit and remix the tracks on the DVD - great orchestral scores for various moods (epic, sad, funny, etc). The tracks have been broken down into stems, like you can remove the drums if you want, or play only the strings... I got to try it for free and I love it !
One of the tracks sounds like pirates of the carribean :)

Its a new product I recommend it you can check their website www.protraxscores.com

Cubase's MIDI was terrible when last I used it (2008-ish maybe?). Have they improved? I'd like to switch, but given Steinberg's current "sure, you can try a demo...if you buy our security key" (and my current lackofbudget), I'm a touch wary. If I was on the mac side, I'd definitely go with DP.

To call them improvements is something of a joke; the MIDI implementation in Pro Tools SUCKS! That's why I use DP for many of my music applications.

Have you used PT8+?

Whilst I would've agreed with you in PT7 and looked seriously at Logic for a while, PT8 came a very long way on the MIDI sequencing end of things, and it's actually quite good IMO.

Cubase's MIDI was terrible when last I used it (2008-ish maybe?). Have they improved? I'd like to switch, but given Steinberg's current "sure, you can try a demo...if you buy our security key" (and my current lackofbudget), I'm a touch wary. If I was on the mac side, I'd definitely go with DP.

Hi Josh.

Working with midi in Cubase is fabulous. I highly recommend it. Steinberg certainly have their issues as a company especially with support but if you like the workflow of Cubase I think you'll enjoy scoring with it.

m

Back