• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Vincent has a question for you... (2011, Interactive short)

Hello
This is a film i made with the very talented Michael Murray. It also has an interactive element to it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2vzQAFBw2Q

Filmed on a Canon 600D. Sound using a Zoom H1 and rode pin mic.
I did a lot in post to this. Please watch before i give away some of the techniques.

There are 3 main things: I rotoscoped the outline of vincent in after effects (probably wouldn't have if i realised how long it would take...). I used this mask to create separate colour corrections for the the subject and the background. Making the background darker, higher contrast and less saturated. I also used the focus blur effect to give the background some fake DOF blur.
I thought i could get away with not hiding a pin mic, but realised i post i couldn't... so I motion tracked it. then i created another video layer and a null layer (i think) with a small circular mask on his shirt just bellow the pin mic. I tracked the null layer to the pin mic. Then made the new video layer the same "transparency" as the null layer (so that layer was video of just the small circular bit of shirt bellow the pin mic). I then positioned this on top of the pin mic to hide it.
The other thing was i used an animated image of a blood drip to make it look like his hand is bleeding. Gave it some blur to blend it in. Didn't make this particularly obvious though.
I hope you read this after watching it. Would be good to see how much of this was too obvious.

If you enjoyed this then please could you consider helping with my next project
http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/investment/uk-riots-2011-a-satirical-film-383

Last edited:
Thanks for watching it! glad you enjoyed. I suppose Barry felt like Vincent would have found out and fired him. Also for Lisa to follow, she would have had to give up her job.
Love or success. Thats the big question.

It was like Peep Show, but starring the parents of Charlie Brown.

I found it enjoyable, but there are a few things that just feel... off about it. For one, you seem to be kicking yourself in the shin with the script if you were trying to make something that immerses the audience. The comical Charlie-Brown voices fits with the idea that it's trying to put the audience into the shoes of Barry, but the script itself is forming the entire dialogue around a character background completely unrelated to the audience and using it as a main plot point (
the girlfriend
). The different endings also don't seem to be long enough. They're only around a minute and a half in length, if that, compared to the lead up of 10 minutes - it removes most of the dramatic impact of the choice away from the audience.

Really I think the voice could have been perfectly normal and it would have done a better job. It was pretty nice though, it's hard to find actors that can keep in character for shots as long as that - at least I'm assuming that was all one shot and not just some clever editing (if so, bravo, you fooled me)!

I liked it. It was fun. Thanks for the details on the effects pretty cool. Though if one thing they somewhat made the image a bit soft which is no big deal per se, but when viewing from the subjective POV it kind of brings attention to itself as I kept thinking "do I have my glasses on?"

Great job though, RJ. I was entertained and got a few great laughs at some parts. I don't want to spoil it for others so I can share the details with you if you care to know. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for watching.
The guy wrote it at Drama collage a few years back, as a stand-up performance piece for a project. He usually performed it to an empty chair. So not seeing or hearing barry was an continuation of the of that idea. I though that was the most interesting way of doing it.

It used to end with Vinc holding the pen out to the audience, asking them the question. So the endings were another add on.

Yes, it was one take. He didn't mess up at out of the 5 we did (i couldn't even remember to stand up at the right time). He is the best actor i know. I thought this in itself was a good enough reason to film the thing.

Ya it does seem to look a bit soft sometimes. but it depends on the resolution you watch it on youtube.

Back