• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Keeping viewer curious - any tip?

Game of Thrones is one of the best TV shows ever; if you’re looking for good storytelling. There is no clear story structure. There is always surprise! I mean, for example, in Scooby Doo, you know what happens next. But that ain’t good for a successful idea. The viewer has to being kept curious for what’s next. But how do I do that as an amateur? I don’t wanna server the same menu always.

You don't give a example of game of thrones not having no clear story structure. It's clear that game of thrones has a clear story structure. It deals with a variety of characters that overcome their own ego or limitations (or get destroyed by their own ego or limitations ). It has two characters in the show that rise from nothing to the two most powerful people in the world of westeros. There is a thing that's different from game of thrones and other TV shows.

I call this diversion of expectation, and in game of thrones it's reasonably balanced. In the later seasons the diversion of expectation is almost gone and the show becomes quite predictable. The only surprise is how stupid the people in the show have become.... Tarantino's the hateful 8 is a movie that plays very well with diversion of expectation. When is diversion of expectation to much? I would say watch star wars the last jedi. The problem of this movie is that everything that the movie before that builds to or that was established, gets demolished in this movie. It's quite anticlimactic.

To answer your question: The viewer has to being kept curious for what’s next. But how do I do that as an amateur? Show something to the audience but not to the characters. that ads suspension. You can also not show something you as a filmmaker know and surprise your audience with it. For instance... because the movie the is called the Hateful 8
we don't expect Channing Tatum is hiding under the floor
That's a briljant surprise.

Last edited:
Keeping the audience curious/interested is all in the script. It is up to the director to convey this to the audience; that's his/her job, to shoot & edit the story so that the audience desires to know what comes next.

Alfred Hitchcock was one of the best at letting the audience know things that the characters did not. Definitely worth some study. If you haven't already you should watch "The Sixth Sense." Even when Cole tells Malcolm his secret we, the audience, still do not see the twist at the end.

Just for fun check out the Disney kids show "Phineas and Ferb." The big joke of the entire show is that every episode is almost exactly the same, all the way down to the dialog - "Ferb, I know what we're going to do today." "Aren't you kids a bit young to be…." "Yes, yes we are." "Watcha dooooin'?" "Hey, where's Perry?"

I think you are mixing up 'clear story structure' and 'predictable'.
And that is probably your whole obstacle with writing:
you are unable to write when you can't predict where your story is going, but without writing it, you will never know.
Trapped in your own paradox of wanting to know the whole script before it is written.

Keeping viewers interested is indeed key.

You want them to care about characters and/or you want them to want to know the solution.

You can play with tension which is often a 'inbalance in knowledge':

- the viewer knows something the character doesn't know (like a lurking monster)
- the character knows something the viewer doesn't know (like you see him/her see something and react)
- both viewer and charater don't know, but the music suggests the composer knows (or the camera knows)
- the viewer knows anyone can die at any time (the Game of Thrones method), making you axious to watch
- crossing the Rubicon: the character passes a point of no return. What might happen is uncertain, but things will never be the same and there is danger ahead (like Sam and Frodo leaving the Company in LOTR)

And so there are many mechanism that can keep things interesting. But beware: writing them as a mechanism might destroy the tension.

tumblr_nrfhtpqyFm1uskl6io1_1280.jpg

Back