• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing tips

I May not be a writer and my grammar isn't what it should be - but i have an awesome imagination (So i been told) and have a knack for making things flow together. I Have had this story planed out in my head for years and when i would think of a idea on what should happen next to a character; what should the character look and talk like or where should this scene be shot. I would write stuff like that down so i wouldn't forget, and i have been playing this movie over and over in my head for years... Isn't that crazy?

With that said, I've never done anything like this (SCREENWRITING) and i was wanting to know a few things before i get started. Like is there a place when i can send my script to so they can fix any grammar and spelling errors? Who do i send it to?

Thanks
CJ

I May not be a writer and my grammar isn't what it should be - but i have an awesome imagination ... With that said, I've never done anything like this (SCREENWRITING) and i was wanting to know a few things before i get started. Like is there a place when i can send my script to so they can fix any grammar and spelling errors? Who do i send it to?

Thanks
CJ

There are script consultants and services that will edit and advise you for a fee. Some of these can run from $100 up to $2500 depending on what you ask them to do. However, there are also a lot of scams for new scriptwriters on the Internet. So before you send off your manuscript, do a check. The same with potential agents and agencies. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Most word processors have basic spellcheckers. Some have grammar checkers too. Neither of these is 100%, so you will need to still do a manual check. Take advantage of living in a technological society.

There are free software packages to help you format a screenplay. Most often you will hear people refer to CeltX (http://www.celtx.org). But I would also strongly recommend you pick up a couple books on writing screenplays. A good resource is Trottier's book The Screenwriter's Bible.

Best wishes as you launch into writing!

In this case you do not need a script consultant. What you are asking about
is called a "proof reader". Figure about $1.50/$2.50 per page.

Here's something surprising, I know a super awesome script reader in LA, he'll do it all for $80 -- or that's what he used to charge. He'll do a lot more than spell check it. He's a real reader for a studio and a accomplished writer himself. He's an ace, great coverage guy. pm if you want is contact info. Check it out, he's read 10,000 screenplays. Not that that 's a reason to hire him, but it amazes me nonetheless.

Hey CJ, You are not alone in this department. I've been a keen writer since I was young but alas I never paid any attention in school so althought I'm quite creative my spelling and grammer are poor to say the least. If it's just grammer and spelling errors your are looking to be corrected what I normally do is show it to a friend/family member who is better at spelling and grammer and they tend to show me what's wrong. That way it saves on money.

I've never done anything like this (SCREENWRITING) and i was wanting to know a few things before i get started. Like is there a place when i can send my script to so they can fix any grammar and spelling errors? Who do i send it to?
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=182344#post182344

- If you're going to be filming it yourself, with all of the camera angles, don't worry about splellin an glamaticle ishues.
You have the freedom to do whatever you want. Don't even bother learning proper screenplay format.

- If you're going to be asking a (semi-pro) production crew and (semi-pro) actors to provide talent then then you will benefit from learning proper screenplay format.

- If you have intentions of selling your spec screenplay then you must learn spec screenplay format.

In learning spec screenplay format I promise you will WILDLY improve on your splellin end grammerical issyous.

Except for the second reason cited, it's a non issue issue, really.

GL

You have received some excellent advice from others. Directorick is right about finding low cost editing services for proofreading. If you have a friend or family member who is that spelling and grammar whiz, take advantage of that fact. As Rayw mentioned, this only is a major issue if you are trying to sell/option the script to someone else to produce. Most can overlook an infrequent typo (once in 5 pages). It is when you have one or more on each page that readers tend to throw up their hands.

Scripts will go through many re-writes, pro or not. So don't sweat the first draft. Just write it. Once it's finished, then go back and clean it up. It's in the second pass that I usually catch many of my mistakes. It helps to have a dictionary and thesaurus next to where you write. (Is it "breech" or "breach" I want? Since both are English words, the spellchecker doesn't help I found out.)

It is easy to spend money in pursuing a dream--contests, evaluations, listings, printing and binding, etc. So if you can find no cost or low cost proofreading service, all the better. The services which BrianLuce and I mentioned include evaluations of how well the dialogue works, character and story development, in addition. Neither of us are suggesting that you need or should use those services. We mention them so you are aware they exist, and what you might expect if you go searching the Internet.
I would write stuff like that down so i wouldn't forget, and i have been playing this movie over and over in my head for years... Isn't that crazy? With that said, I've never done anything like this (SCREENWRITING) and i was wanting to know a few things before i get started.
At this point it is often called a "treatment". A treatment is a 3-30 page presentation of the story largely without dialogue. This is a good place to start before you tackle the script itself.

Having said that, I'm going to give you advice that most first time screenwriters do not heed or want to hear. And I'm sure others here will disagree. If you are the director, the script is largely irrelevant except for the actors and crew. Regardless of what's on paper, you are creating your story in real time as you imagined it. If it doesn't work, you try again--a trial and error approach. However, if you are only a writer, your script is held to a high standard to warrant consideration for production or financing the creation your picture. In those cases, I would want my script to have a good chance at success if I've never written a screenplay before.

In your place, I would write down my movie as it plays in my head in a story format (treatment). Don't worry about the screenplay part at first. Now set it aside. Many beginners anxiously rush to write a script without preparation. The result is often rejection. Most first screenplays are never produced unless the writer is also the director and producer. I think it's more due to the learning curve than the idea itself.

I would pick up a book on script writing at the library. Everyone has favorites. I would suggest a book by Hal Ackerman, "Write Screenplays that Sell the Ackerman Way". It covers the basics of the "Three Act Model" and helps you think about structural aspects of the story. I don't agree with everything he writes, but it is a very clear, easy read with exercises. Create a short film script from the exercises to understand the principles. David Trottier's book "The Screenwriter's Bible" will help you learn the formatting. [NB: There is nothing 'magical' about Ackerman's approach, it's just a practical, hands-on approach. I also like Michael Hauge's approach. Blake, Field, Seger, et al. have instructive approaches as well. I would give them all a read to get a wide sense of approaches to the good screenwriting.]

After you've written a couple short scripts (5-10 pages), read successful movie scripts! Go to SimplyScripts, Imdb or other places on the internet to read scripts of movies you really like. It can be eye-opening and instructive to see how they wrote and scripted their ideas.

Now that you know how to structure a good story, how to format your script, and have seen how successful movies have structured these elements, you should pull out your original story treatment. How will you capture the audience in the first five or so pages? How will you introduce the audience to the characters and create the driving force for the movie in the first 20 or so pages? Unlike a book, a movie has a limited number of pages to tell its story, so it needs to be given thought. The characters need to feel real to the audience. There should be movement and development from start to end.

If I had this marvelous piece of marble and a brilliant conception but I'd never carved before, I'd want to start with scrap rock and simple sculptures to develop my technique. When I felt comfortable, then I'd start on the actual piece. I think most first efforts are the same. Having an awesome imagination and a knack for flowing things together, you should have no problem applying this to smaller pieces to master the skills for a feature film. Practice then tackle the story with some mastery.

In the thread that PolFilm posted there are some thought provoking links. There have been other threads on this Screenwriting forum that have addressed many of the issues of story, structure, and format. The 'trinity' forms the basis for scripts. If any one is weak, the whole script suffers. When all three work well, the script succeeds. Good luck in your endeavors.

I May not be a writer and my grammar isn't what it should be - but i have an awesome imagination (So i been told) and have a knack for making things flow together. I Have had this story planed out in my head for years and when i would think of a idea on what should happen next to a character; what should the character look and talk like or where should this scene be shot. I would write stuff like that down so i wouldn't forget, and i have been playing this movie over and over in my head for years... Isn't that crazy?

With that said, I've never done anything like this (SCREENWRITING) and i was wanting to know a few things before i get started. Like is there a place when i can send my script to so they can fix any grammar and spelling errors? Who do i send it to?

Thanks
CJ
I personally feel that scriptwriting is more about show than tell. That is the basic grammar. Visualising is also not that easy for me even though I am writing my fourth script . I also must tell a vivid imagination and
the knack of making things flow are also useful requisites. Go ahead and write the script and best of luck
padma

I dont understand why scripts have to be wrote in perfect grammer (not word mis-spelled lol) because is real life people dont like like a person who speaks perfect grammer and puts together proper sentences.

I dont understand why scripts have to be wrote in perfect grammer (not word mis-spelled lol) because is real life people dont like like a person who speaks perfect grammer and puts together proper sentences.
There's a few reasons why.
First, in an industry where there is more than enough product to sate an ever fragmenting revenue source, readers have to "invest" at least a couple minutes into reading the first page of a submission before considering reading the next page, by which time if the writer hasn't thoroughly distracted the reader with your's instead of you'res, sluglines including camera angles and poetic descriptions of what the antagonist was thinking then the next ten pages become a consideration.
It's possible the reader or production assistant may even finish half the screenplay before chucking it into the circular file. Shiny brass clips and all.
There's another stack of this sh!t fifty deep every GD day the postal carrier closes the door behind him/herself.

Day in.

Day out.

For years.

Do you really want to read:

EXT. IHOP PARKING LOT - DAY
Neal stands besides his winnabago as dick wipes
more than a grin off his fase.

DICK​
What wood Bob thin of
that.

NEAL​
Your incredable​

Second, sloppy splellein and glammer promotes many other sloppy design and attention to detail issues.
A constant attitude of this and that don't matter falls over into plot twists and turns and layers of subtext.
Most often, the absence of any of the above.
When you read enough scripts and screenplays you'll likely pick up on distinct characteristics and feels of how things will translate from script to screen.

Third, screenwriting is very fluid. Studio/producer obligations, budgets, casting and actual settings will force constant changes in the screenplay which will require a definite level of writer professionalism to faithfully adapt again and again and again.

No one benefits from cast and production scratching their heads, making snide remarks and not keeping "on task" due to poor selling and grammar. It's a simple remedy. Be a big boy and learn the effing language. This sh!t's costing the studio or producer $500 to $50,000 a minute to have everybody on set. Does anyone really benefit from being sloppy?

I really did not mean spelling words wrong or even using the wrong words.

example. Bob and I. proper grammer. spelling out- a lot.

I meant when they make you do things like this....

ex- the party was going great, while many people enjoyed it

changing to ex- while many people enjoyed the party, it was going great.

maybe I didnt explain myself clear enough I just meant something like this.

Ah, in that case what you're describing is called On The Nose dialog (OTNd) which is bizarre and unusual for not only common grimy blue collar men putting down domestic beer at the sports bar but even white collar executives nursing imported beer on the back nine.

However, OTNd may be wildly perfect betwixt the anal retentive junior executive as she investigates corporate ledger discrepancies with the MIT magna cum laude nube in the IT department who has unintentionally peeked down her $200 blouse.
But she keeps bending over his desk!
And their reciprocal nerd talk in perfect diction seems to weave a verbal tapestry that would make Emily Post grab her groin!

Yeah.
Don't do that.

But then again be very careful about typing your version of how a Jersey boy talks, or your version of a US civil war era negro from the bayou would speak.

Deviate from Funk & Wagnalls on the dialog, but everything on every action and slug line needs to spot on perfect or would certainly benefit from it.

Better spelling and grammar won't hurt a story.
Better industry formating wont hurt a story.
Better self promotion as a competent writer won't hurt a story.

You're right.
No one in their right mind will care a flying pip between "the party was going great, while many people enjoyed it" and "while many people enjoyed the party, it was going great" when the word "while" needs to be changed to "and":
The party was going great, and many people enjoyed it.
Many people enjoyed the party, and it was going great.

Last edited:
I'm sure you know there is a difference between a properly written
script and dialogue that fits the character. so I don't understand your
point.

Just because a writer creates a character who does not speak using
proper grammar doesn't mean the writer can use improper grammar
throughout the script. So what point are you trying to make?

For those following the thread who are new to screenwriting, the issue of grammar, spelling, and punctuation is about action lines and description ... mostly.

In the dialogue exchanged between characters, grammar and pronunciation may be regional or colloquial. HOWEVER, even there the writer should follow conventions of punctuation, spelling, and grammar when appropriate.

Code:
INT.  PROF. HANFORD'S STUDY - NIGHT

Carla and the professor are seated facing each other.

CARLA
                      (strong cockney)
           Really, guvnuh?  I'z awful 'ungry.

PROFESSOR
           Again!  With proper enunciation.

She takes a deep breath.

CARLA
                      (upper end diction)
            Really, Professor.  I am terribly ...

Stands and leans into him, her face twisting up.

CARLA
            ... 'ungry!

In screenplays, you will sometimes see the subject is left off an action line when it is being carried out by the actor who just spoke. But to be safe, it's best to put in the he/she/it.

If you read screenplays, you will see how famous writers often break the rules. However, as life isn't fair, new screenwriters are held to a higher standard until they make it big. As Rayw pointed out, your script is being used by several people to create a movie. To give your script the best shot, you want it to be clean. No matter how clever the story, if it takes too much work to get through it, it's dropped.

I wish I were making this up, but a screenwriter posted this by cellphone to a list I frequent. It reminded me of the scene in "Airplane 2" when the old woman says, "Excuse me, Miss. I speak jive."

Code:
Hi..I disagree w H*...I think u r tre clear about who u r and what u
want. My take is simply its verbiage. There r any number of good reader
consultants who do exactly what u r looking for. It's very common. Just not
not not collaboration ...you r da master of yr destiny ...they r hired
help....Google around..c who sounds good..if not much joy, email me off list
B bril

That takes time to translate even though it's "English". The same happens with regional colloquialisms. "They were partyin' like the hootin' froobies when Charlie cranked the wheels." As an action description, I think I'd prefer "The dancing at the party became frenzied when DJ Charlie selected the records to play."

Unless you're producing your own script, it needs to be written in a standard English that is largely understandable which comes back grammar, punctuation, and spelling (national differences aside).

Back