• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need Help Developing Short Film

Hey guys,

I am currently a student filmmaker and I am at a wall regarding where the story could go.

We're trying to develop a briefcase that falls from the sky, unknowingly where it fell from, and why. What we can't decide is what could be inside the briefcase and how that item defines the rest of the story.

We have brainstormed a few ideas, regarding maybe personal items in the briefcase to newspaper articles, but we always change the idea as we feel some of these lead to a predictable film. In terms of genre we were thinking maybe a mystery and/or thriller type feel to the film.

Hopefully someone could help with where this film could go and not be predictable.

Thanks for everyone's help!

- Callum

Okay, it drops down from the sky and nearly hits the head of the some priest out on his bicycle. Then some bad f*ckers show up ready to shoot him for it. Why are they involved?

Someone's home is visited by them bad guys and he can't get away with the briefcase, so he opens the window and sends it away using his tiny sister's balloons.

Okay, it drops down from the sky and nearly hits the head of the some priest out on his bicycle. Then some bad f*ckers show up ready to shoot him for it. Why are they involved?

Someone's home is visited by them bad guys and he can't get away with the briefcase, so he opens the window and sends it away using his tiny sister's balloons.

That's certainly unpredictable. Do that.

I don't know if I would get too caught up on what's in the briefcase quite yet. Unless you feel good about it. A lot of time people get caught up in the specifics of a story before they even know what the story is about.

What are some other things that you imagine happening in this film?
What is the approx. runtime of this film?
Have you tried creating a logline?

Back