• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Looking for Feedback

Greetings everyone,

I recently posted a semi-rough draft of an article entitled "Recursive Structure and Pattern" in the screenwriting section. Is there any chance I could get some feedback from the community on this? I greatly value thoughts, both good and bad; especially from the class of people that visit this board. Anythoughts would be most appreciated :).

Here it is: :P

1) More example of actual movies to illustrate points. The "Star Wars" references for the triangles made perfect sense, for instance. Apply similar to other points.

2) Two quotes I strongly disagree with...

• When the story becomes more important than the characters it become hollow.

• Make your plot follow the characters; don’t let your characters follow the plot

In my opinion (stress opinion), a good story/plot carries the characters. A decent actor can flesh out a generic character's presence... they could not save a lousy story, no matter how well they perform.

Take Star Trek, for example. Some of the most hollow characters ever created, and even the acting was... questionable, shall we say. 8) Why is it still around? The story/plot.

Spoofs, parodies and music videos (imo) are the only time when characters should rise above the "plot".

3) I hope no Trekkies read that :shock:

4) The initial description of exactly *what* the Recursive Structure is, is too esoteric... and then refers down to a section below that is not clearly marked as the pickup, making it difficult to recognise.

5) (Personal Pet Peeve #1) An instance of "loose" instead of "lose". (Too many whacked knuckles, when younger, to let that slide) :D

Overall, it has a lot of good information to think about. I'm not listing the "really good" things (too many of them)... just the bits that I thought could use a fresh look at, as per a request for review. :)

Thanks for taking a look :). I really appreciate it.

Apply similar to other points.

Will do!

In my opinion (stress opinion), a good story/plot carries the characters. A decent actor can flesh out a generic character's presence... they could not save a lousy story, no matter how well they perform.

This is true. I wasn't suggesting that you go with a boring or bad plot; rather, I was shooting for a balance. I don't think either should be dramatically more powerful than the other (depending on the effect you are trying to achieve really). Either extreme can be detrimental (though I can easily see how my writing suggests otherwise).

The initial description of exactly *what* the Recursive Structure is, is too esoteric... and then refers down to a section below that is not clearly marked as the pickup, making it difficult to recognise.

An excellent point. Figuring out how to organize this thing has been the most difficult part. So many thoughts! Any suggestions on how to fix this? I know what it is I want to say but it doesn't always appear to others the way I intend :) (hence the need for some outside comments!)

(Personal Pet Peeve #1) An instance of "loose" instead of "lose". (Too many whacked knuckles, when younger, to let that slide)

LOL. Ouch, yes quite right.

Thanks for the feedback!

Back