What do I pay a producer?

Hi

I'm making (writing/directing) a low budget 30 minute film over the summer, and I have 8,000 to get it made (or at least get 75% of it made before raising more funds.

I've met somebody who is willing to handle everything production-related, and he seems to know his stuff, and he says he'll make a budget plan and show what amount of the budget he'll be cutting for himself, then I can decide whether or not to let him work with me.

Over the last couple weeks of calls, he always mentions that he's "logging his hours" and is weeks past the date he said he'd have this plan in to me. Now, I don't really want to handle production myself because I want to save all my time and mental energy for directing, but what would be a reasonable amount to pay him? Should he be paid by the hour, or what?

Or if it "depends", what factors does it depend on? I'm meeting him tomorrow and would like some principle to go by, and if the price he offers is too ridiculous, I'd want to save the money to go on screen.

Thanks!

Hi

I'm making (writing/directing) a low budget 30 minute film over the summer, and I have 8,000 to get it made (or at least get 75% of it made before raising more funds.

I've met somebody who is willing to handle everything production-related, and he seems to know his stuff, and he says he'll make a budget plan and show what amount of the budget he'll be cutting for himself, then I can decide whether or not to let him work with me.

Over the last couple weeks of calls, he always mentions that he's "logging his hours" and is weeks past the date he said he'd have this plan in to me. Now, I don't really want to handle production myself because I want to save all my time and mental energy for directing, but what would be a reasonable amount to pay him? Should he be paid by the hour, or what?

Or if it "depends", what factors does it depend on? I'm meeting him tomorrow and would like some principle to go by, and if the price he offers is too ridiculous, I'd want to save the money to go on screen.

Thanks!

It sounds like you're the producer... and he's a UPM.

If he's been 'logging his hours' but he's well over the date he said things would be done by... that doesn't bode well. He's late on this plan, which he's working out the costing for including his payment; are you confident he's not going to be late during actual production and won't be logging hours that aren't spent efficiently?

Do not pay by the hour. Offer a flat rate.

First; you need to decide what percentage you can afford. Even if the
number isn't “standard” you need to make the difficult decision. What
is it worth to YOU to save all your time and mental energy for directing?

Second; look at the number he wants.

If the numbers are worlds apart thank him for his time and offer him
a small stipend for doing the work. If the numbers are close then the
two of you can negotiate. You may never come to an agreement. You
might see eye to eye.

What percentage? How about three to start? Maybe up to five if he
really does know his stuff. You might even offer eight to save your
time and mental energy for directing.

IMO, you shouldn't pay over $1k for a short. There's no financial upside.

The mere mention of "logging the hours" for a short that will be financially dead on completion ought to be a HUGE warning sign for you.

You have to ask why you're making the short -- is it for your experience and sense of accomplishment? If this is the case, then you ought to do something where you can do mostly by yourself with a few assistants, over a period of months.

The full-crew 2- or 3-day shoots is for people using Dad's money. Practice making cheap shorts and save your money for a feature.

Good luck.

Back