Affordable rig for art film

Hello. I am a sculptor about to launch on making a twenty minute art film. I shot still photo mostly on a Mamiya for years and use a mid-range older lumix in studio for documentation but know very little about how to spec out and arrange a working, affordable rig for a project like this.

I'm hoping the kindness and expertise of forum members can help me confidently identify a reasonable, versatile rig for between 1-2K, used and hopefully even cheaper. Most of the film will be shot at a fairly wide angle but there will some extremely tight shots and possibly macro stuff as well. I'm handy and can build my own lighting and probably put together working additional materials - it is the camera part that I am extremely confused about.

Obviously I'd like a film look but 16mm is too cost prohibitive.

Your help is tremendously appreciated. Thanks in advance. Matt

Who will be the likely audience for this twenty minute art film short?
Youtube/Vimeo?
Film Festivals?
Private showings @ art gallery openings and the like?

Will it include on screen interviews or almost exclusively voice over?

Planning on almost all tripod shots? Static and/or panning?
Or will there be some movement requiring shoulder rigs, rails, and/or jibs?
What are the dimensions of the sculptures to be displayed? Smaller than a breadbox or larger than a horse or house? :)

Who will be the likely audience for this twenty minute art film short?
Youtube/Vimeo?
Film Festivals?
Private showings @ art gallery openings and the like?

Will it include on screen interviews or almost exclusively voice over?

Planning on almost all tripod shots? Static and/or panning?
Or will there be some movement requiring shoulder rigs, rails, and/or jibs?
What are the dimensions of the sculptures to be displayed? Smaller than a breadbox or larger than a horse or house? :)

Gallery.
Almost all the sound will be edited in.
Primarily tripod shots. I will probably build some contraptions for panning et al.
The sculptures vary in size. Some are immersive environments.

Thanks for your reply.

So a friend emailed me that I should consider the following: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 with Noktor 12mm F1.6

Any thoughts? Or what other lens (if I were to pick only one) to add to the set?

Back