Adapting a play?

What kind of steps andthings are required if I wanted to adapt a play for the screen? Maybe not even with many cuts to the script. But, y'know, making a play a film.
If that makes sense?

What kind of steps andthings are required if I wanted to adapt a play for the screen? Maybe not even with many cuts to the script. But, y'know, making a play a film.
If that makes sense?

I'd say cut as much dialog as you can and try and make the storytelling more visual and less dialog driven. A lot of stage plays work as radio dramas, imagine reading the screenplay to Saving Private Ryan to radio. Won't make much sense.

I may have Inadvertently not mentioned my original point.
Which was, in order to adapt a play (specifically Edward Albee's "The Zoo Story"), would I need to pay anything or anything like that?

At present, a work completed after 1978 is protected by copyright until 70 years past the death of the author. Zoo Story was written prior to 1978, so the copyright term may be somewhat different. However, since Albee is (I believe) still alive you will have to wait a while before it passes into public domain.

So, yes, you would have to purchase the adaptation rights, either from the author or from whoever owns them.

If that makes sense?

It makes sense.

In order to adapt a play you need to get permission from the
copyright holder. With most plays the copyright is owned by
the author. So you need to contact the author - usually
through their agent. Contact the Dramatists Guild for that
info.

I'd say cut as much dialog as you can and try and make the storytelling more visual and less dialog driven. A lot of stage plays work as radio dramas, imagine reading the screenplay to Saving Private Ryan to radio. Won't make much sense.
I don't know about that.

During the 1940's many movies were adapted to radio most
often using the original stars. Did you ever hear the radio
adaptation of "Star Wars"? It was spectacular and made a lot
of sense. I suspect a radio adaptation of " Saving Private Ryan"
could be great. Of course today's audience wouldn't like it, but
I think it could be done and done well.

Have you ever seen the movie adaptation of "Sleuth", "Wait
Until Dark", "12 Angry Men" or more recently "Bug"? The
filmmakers didn't feel the need to cut out as much dialogue as
they could. You should see David Mamet's adaptation of his own
play "Glengarry Glen Ross" to the screen.

I have heard that Albee is very cantankerous and protective of his works. He's a curmudgeon known for thinking American audiences have become stupid (hard to argue that about mainstream audiences), and would not be easily convinced to license the rights to just anyone. Someone I know tried to obtain rights to something of his, I don't recall the particulars, but it was a long, fruitless, and stressful struggle.

Back