Adapting...

Hi everyone!

I'm only a teenager, but my friends and I really enjoy making shorts. We wanted to adapt "One Ordinary Day, With Peanuts," the Shirley Jackson short story, and I'm not sure how to go about it. I know that to even begin screenwriting an adaptation you have to get the rights, but will the people in charge of the rights to this story even give a few teenagers a glance? If we make it, it'll be really low budget and we're obviously learning still, so it would be more of an experiment. Should I keep trying to do this, or should we just go in a different direction? And just to be clear, it's not that we're too lazy to come up with our own material, we just really feel like this story would look great on the screen.

Go for it. I personally don't see a legal problem in doing it unless you try to make money from it. If it's a fun short with friends shown only to friends then go for it, man.

Nah man, I say go for it. Maybe someone who knows more about legal than me has more info on why you shouldn't do it but I don't see any reason why not?

I even saw an independent Halloween sequel posted on You-Tube not too long ago..

But wait until someone who knows for sure answers because I wouldn't want any copyright fine to be on my conscience. Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything. I wouldn't think it's a problem anyway.

Last edited:
When I was just starting (age 14 to 16) I would use one act plays.
Good stories, small cast, one location. I didn’t need to think
about the writing so I could focus on learning how to direct.

Of course the difference was I didn’t have YouTube. I never showed
my films outside of my friends and family with the occasional
showing at school during lunch.

I can’t imagine you would face any legal troubles as long as you
don’t put it on a public website. And - frankly - I can’t imagine
you would face anything other than the vid getting taken off if
you did.

I, too, say go for it.

Back