Will I benefit from filmschool?

Hey fellow filmfriends!
Recently, i've been thinking a lot about whether I need filmschool, or not. As you all know, the fee for a 3 year education as a director is skyhigh.

As a 16 year old, I feel I master the basics of storytelling and film to be at my age. (writing a 90 minute feature to be shot with RED ONE at the moment. Managed to get my hands on 7-10 000$).

However, the reason I would go to filmschool would be networking, and of course, learn how the pros do it. I read A LOT of books, and learn a huuuge amount. I also have a few connections with some directors, and have some connections within the film industry. I want to know more about filmmaking, but feel I am able to simply read my way to the same knowledge, or analyze enough?

My biggest problem is this: How am I supposed to make film, which requires a tremendous amount of time, without starving in the process?

Will I benefit from filmschool? Or is there a way to succeed without doing so?
And say I go to filmschool, what happens next?

This is my plan, if I decide to go to filmschool:
I want to learn the mainstream american blockbuster way of directing a movie. This way I'll know exactly how to tell a story, and what needs to be done to present an idea for an audience.
When ive mastered this, i wanna break it apart, and make my own style. Which school would grant me this wish?

I know these are questions that'll probably sound stupid to some of you. But I really really wanna spend the rest of my life making movies, and telling stories :)

(UPDATE: the feature I'm working on just released a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dv-iayj0zU&feature=plcp )

Looking forward to hear from you,
Jarand B. Herdal

Last edited:
If you've made a couple feature films, the next step really is to sell them. Work and work and work to get a distributor to distribute your films. 4 wall them if you must to get started. You should already have some contacts by then and if they're as you said "good films" the rest of the contacts will come.

If you haven't made them yet and already know how to make a good film, your next step is to make that good film and sell it.

From what I saw, you've got the basics of the money shots downpat but since everything on that youtube page of yours is a collection of trailer (with maybe an advert thrown in), we cannot really tell if you're ready for that.

If you're trying to shoot things to get into film school, do examples of dialogues. Do some stories with some structure. An introduction, middle and an end. Its not necessary for everything to have that formula, but it helps. If you've already made some films, ignore what I just said and let us see your actual work.

If you've made a couple feature films, the next step really is to sell them. Work and work and work to get a distributor to distribute your films. 4 wall them if you must to get started. You should already have some contacts by then and if they're as you said "good films" the rest of the contacts will come.

If you haven't made them yet and already know how to make a good film, your next step is to make that good film and sell it.

From what I saw, you've got the basics of the money shots downpat but since everything on that youtube page of yours is a collection of trailer (with maybe an advert thrown in), we cannot really tell if you're ready for that.

If you're trying to shoot things to get into film school, do examples of dialogues. Do some stories with some structure. An introduction, middle and an end. Its not necessary for everything to have that formula, but it helps. If you've already made some films, ignore what I just said and let us see your actual work.

I see your point here, but you make it look like you're "after" me. So step down a bit, I'm just looking for help.
With "good films" I mean; I know what's needed to make a good film, I'm just working on getting it out there.

The feature film will release in a couple of months, and talking about structure- I just made this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXMcM4x28kw&list=PL23BED4DD06E69E10&index=2&feature=plcp
(although I'm happy with the short, it's not something I'll do again. A bit too slow for my taste, but I learnt from it)

I see your point here, but you make it look like you're "after" me. So step down a bit, I'm just looking for help.
With "good films" I mean; I know what's needed to make a good film, I'm just working on getting it out there.

The feature film will release in a couple of months, and talking about structure- I just made this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXMcM4x28kw&list=PL23BED4DD06E69E10&index=2&feature=plcp
(although I'm happy with the short, it's not something I'll do again. A bit too slow for my taste, but I learnt from it)

I'm not sure what you mean by after you. I have no malice to you what so ever. I'm straight up kind of person. I call it how I see it. I don't see the point in going to film school if you're already making feature films that are of the caliber equal to or better than what you'd learn to make there. That was the point I was trying to get across... I obviously failed in that attempt.

From that video link, you seem to have a raw talent for cinematography. I suggest using your strengths and hone in and strengthen that talent. Don't waste it.

You will go a long way if you team up with someone who is equally talented in writing entertaining and engaging stories.

I'm not sure what you mean by after you. I have no malice to you what so ever. I'm straight up kind of person. I call it how I see it. I don't see the point in going to film school if you're already making feature films that are of the caliber equal to or better than what you'd learn to make there. That was the point I was trying to get across... I obviously failed in that attempt.

From that video link, you seem to have a raw talent for cinematography. I suggest using your strengths and hone in and strengthen that talent. Don't waste it.

You will go a long way if you team up with someone who is equally talented in writing entertaining and engaging stories.

Oh sorry, my apologies. I guess we misunderstood each other :)

Thank you! This is also why I'm so unsure about film school. Am I already over the "first level", which will just end up making me bored at film school?

Oh thanks! Cinematography has always been something i've just "done" on set. Never read anything about it, since I'm mostly into writing and directing. So that means a lot :) Since I'm only 17 years old, and at the moment only found one equally skilled/eager person like me, I'm that "one man army guy" I guess, haha.

Cheers,
Jarand

When considering film school for contacts, first consider this:

Who are you trying to gain as a contact?

Film schools are filled with students who are in the same situation as you.

What about the teachers?

Ever heard of this phrase? "Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach."

While this isn't always true, there are of course very talented teachers out there, which of those contacts do you think are beneficial to your career?

Your talent is still raw. There is still lots to learn. There's so much to learn in filming. That's the thing about filming. You're always learning. There is always something new to learn. On top of that, filming is always evolving. Even when you're at the pinnacle of your career, you still need to improve.

Is film school right for you? That's something that ultimately you'll have to answer.

If you do go to film school, go to a 4 year college and get a bachelors. Keep your mind open towards degrees in other things besides film.

Why do I say that? It can take a long time to establish yourself as a filmmaker, and you do not want to be stuck working in shitty bars or restaurants for decades. If you have a degree (or more than just one degree in some cases) you'll have other job options outside the film industry.

Ex. my degree is in history and I can teach, I can do standard office jobs, I can work in banking operations, all of which can be parallel careers to working in film, as I push ahead as a filmmaker.

I have a friend, a voice over SAG actress who is also a corporate attorney. Another friend of mine who is a film producer has a masters of science in engineering.

Particularly in behind the scenes jobs of the film industry, a good education matters. Many members of the producers guild have degrees from UCLA, USC, NYU, and the Ivy Leagues.

Great answers here, taken them all into consideration.

However, doing something else than film is out of the question- simply not going to work, and I love film too much.

I want to attend a director's program. Writing is something I can learn on my own, and making commercials is something it's possible to make a living of- at worst case scenario. However, I don't know which schools that offers a "director's degree" type thing. I know AFI offers it, but what about USC? Is it all about the "general art of cinema"?

making commercials is something it's possible to make a living of- at worst case scenario.

It might not be that easy. It can be a really lucrative industry to itself. While the low end jobs may be easier to get, the high end jobs can have significant competition. Some very talented people are simply suited to the higher precision, slower production pace that making commercials often entails.

It might not be that easy. It can be a really lucrative industry to itself. While the low end jobs may be easier to get, the high end jobs can have significant competition. Some very talented people are simply suited to the higher precision, slower production pace that making commercials often entails.

But you see my point ;)

But you see my point ;)
I don’t see your point. Earning a six figure income directing
commercials is a “worst case scenario”? Commercial directors
are few and in high demand. It’s a very high paid job, extremely
creative and very, very difficult to break into. How is that kind
of money and creative control a “worst case scenario”?

Is it because you feel making commercials isn’t really “art” or
isn’t really directing? Is it because you think “anyone” can get
a job directing commercials?

But you see my point

It's similar to me saying, "Yeah, my fall back will be directing $50 million dollar studio movies if I don't make it directing 250mil movies." If it was tongue in cheek, then yeah sure, I get it. boom boom.

Commercials is hard and demanding. Not quite as hard as breaking into the music video market, but still very, very tough. Commercials is an industry that's dependent on who you know, even more than feature film industry.

If you already have inroads in the advertising agencies, then sure, it's a solid fall back.

I did some time a long while back at a production house that focused on producing adverts. 18+ hour day to get 10 seconds of footage wasn't exactly what I considered fun. Take 20 of shooting and resetting pouring thickened milk liquid (chocolate into vanilla) to simulate the ice cream making process, while dealing with advertising agency representatives who just don't think it's right yet. You had to tip your hat to the director for never ever losing his cool.

Last edited:
Wow wow, slow down- i think you missed my point.
I said, at worst case scenario it's easier to do commercials, than making money off writing. That was my small statement in there, to back up why I asked if there was director's program somewhere.. I didn't mean to offend anybody. Personally, I simply prefer feature films over commercials. A personal preference.

And to answer "directorik": Commercials is as much art as feature films, it's completely up to the person making them. I never said anything about this.

Guys, I love well done commercials, now you're starting an argument just to start one. Does anybody know of a really good director's program :) ? And is that the way to go, for a director?

Last edited:
If you have passion for film making and that all you can see yourself doing, I would recommend to go to school. I'm almost 33 years old and had the chance to do this and decided to do a business course instead because of the fact I thought I would be more likely to get a job in that field. I now have a great job but not what I want to be doing. I am getting older and there may not be another chance for me. I regret not doing it everyday Its hard going back to school and working full time to make a living.

Don't listen to those people who tell you that you may not make it big. It doesn't matter how big you make it - I didn't care if I made it big - I just want to do what I love.

Chris
www.plateauentertainment.com

If you have passion for film making and that all you can see yourself doing, I would recommend to go to school. I'm almost 33 years old and had the chance to do this and decided to do a business course instead because of the fact I thought I would be more likely to get a job in that field. I now have a great job but not what I want to be doing. I am getting older and there may not be another chance for me. I regret not doing it everyday Its hard going back to school and working full time to make a living.

Don't listen to those people who tell you that you may not make it big. It doesn't matter how big you make it - I didn't care if I made it big - I just want to do what I love.

Chris
www.plateauentertainment.com

Thank you, this made me smile! :) I will, and like you said; I'd much rather be poor making movies, than rich and unhappy ^^

FullSail.

Go crazy.

Everyone will love you.

GL!

Fullsail? I'll check it out! Thank you! :)

Back