Replacing the lead actor

Hey, I have an issue that I'm sure isn't new. Forgive me for the long-winded response; it's just that I am at my wits end.

I started a web series last summer; it was my first time as a director. I've been writing screenplays for a little over 10 years and I decided that the only way to try and break into the industry was to do a small web series and hopefully have people see it. I had been working on the script for the web series for 4-5 years; I was writing the whole first season. I was convinced that I wanted to actually produce it one day.

I wore numerous hats besides the writer/director (producer, casting, etc). I had cast close to 10 actors for different roles with the idea that they would come back for future episodes. No one was paid; I could only afford to offer credit and meals/gas.

I had a very specific idea on what I wanted for the main character. When it came time to audition, hardly anyone came out to read for the part. One guy read for the role and was nowhere near what I envisioned for the main character. Another guy sent in a video audition from out of town. I ended up deciding on him because he came the closest to what I envisioned. The lead role was the last role cast.

Keep in mind, the only thing that he was cast in was a Verizon commercial.

Scheduling wasn't really a problem because he wasn't in school and he had a job which he took time out from. Everyone else's schedule worked out fine. If anyone had something else already scheduled, they would let me know.

Of course, the lead actor is perfect in the role. Yeah, it was kind of bumpy, with it being the first episode, but he really fit the character. I can't envision anyone else as that character. We finished shooting the first episode in October of last year and I put it up a month later. We also managed to shoot footage for upcoming episodes. The first episode did okay; not a lot of people saw it, but those who did see it didn't have anything negative to say about it.

Because we were so close to the holidays, when everyone's schedule would get really fudgy, the plan was to take a production hiatus before coming back in late winter/spring to start on the next episodes. I'm trying to set everything up in December with scheduling and locking down locations, etc. I hear from everyone accept my lead actor, whom I haven't heard from since I premiered the first episode. When the first week in January rolls around, he tells me that he's going to school for the semester and that his schedule would be tight.

I was blown away at first because it seemed like something he should've clued me in on back in November, when I decided on the production hiatus. But I thought we could work around it and I devised a schedule in which we would film on certain weekends (he lives 2-3 hours away). The first weekend we were due to start shooting with other actors and in a location it took me some time to lock down, he emails at the last possible second to tell me he can't make it.

This became a recurring theme throughout the winter. I finally said, "You know what, we'll wait till you finish the semester." Meanwhile, I had already lost a cast member because he had moved. We did manage to shoot some scenes without him, but since the show was geared around him, it was going to be impossible. I had no other back-up plan.

It's April now, I check in on him to let him know that I wanted to start production again in late June and asked him flat out would he be available. He said he would be on certain days and gave me his work schedule. I said okay. With that knowledge, I began crafting a schedule to work around that. When I finish and email everyone in the cast at the beginning of June, he tells me that not only did he add another shift to his work schedule, but he'll be starting a radio internship in which I'd be left with 1-2 days to shoot.

I was devastated because my goal was to have new episodes ready to go by August. 1-2 days was not going to cut it, especially when there are other people in the cast to consider. Just because he can shoot on a specific day, doesn't mean someone else can. I emailed him about a week ago to tell him that I appreciate all the hard work that he put into the project and everything, but I think he needs to concentrate on the radio internship, especially since he went to school for radio anyway.

I didn't tell him straight out that I would recast the role because at that point, I wasn't sure yet. But I spent 4-5 years working on the script for the first season. I was very fortunate and blessed to land a full-time job which helped me get some of the equipment I needed. A lot of time and energy went into the project and I'm not quite ready to pull the plug.

My dilemma: do I re-cast the role and if I do, do I re-shoot the pilot? Since not a lot of people saw the first episode, I don't think it would be totally out of the question. But I'm thinking that even if I do find someone else to play the role, he'll never match up to what the first actor did with the character. There was a certain kind of magic, if you will.

The cast didn't really get a chance to bond since we didn't spend a lot time shooting and due to scheduling, but the cast did like him. I'm wondering how they'll react to the news.

Like I said, I'm not ready to give up on the project since so much went into it, but should I continue it? Would it be right?

Holy F...

If you have spent that much time on it, replace him and move forward. I know you probably didn't watch it, but on The Nanny the assistant chick got pregnant. The show didn't even address it. They just went onb like nothing was happening. They dressed here different, and the show went on.

Just get rid of him.

Choose someone local and available. It's a web series after all, no one expects Oscar worthy performances. To put in all this time and effort and get nothing out is the real shame, much more of a shame than using a lead actor who isn't quite what you envisioned for the character.

You've got to put a bit more trust in your actors, but also put on your pragmatic producers cap and get someone who you know will be able to deliver you shoot days.

Wow, that sucks. I had a similar thing happen to me, where somebody agreed to do puppets for me for several webisode eps, and then backed out after the first one. Finding a replacement was a pain, and I decided to pull the plug on the show and work on something else.

Maybe you could shoot it like Todd Haynes' "I'm Not There," and cast a different lead for every episode. :hmm:

I saw that same magic within my first lead actress. But, sometimes it's just impossible to get the work done. More importantly to get it done right.

It's tough, but replace them. Redo what you did if possible and move on. You'll find out there's more then one actor in the sea.

Well, last night I sent an email to the guy to let him know that I'm going to re-cast the lead role. I thanked him for his hard work and dedication to the role and wished him luck. I haven't heard back from him, which is another can of worms. I sent him a similar email last week telling him that he should concentrate on the internship. I never heard back from him on that email.

This really sucks. I guess I should've known sooner that this wasn't going to work out, especially when he dropped the bomb that he was going to school for a semester while I was preparing to go into production on the second episode. I lost a cast member and a location rental.

And the distance didn't make things any easier, so I can't fault him for that. Doing this for free is definitely not an ideal situation. What's funny is that last summer when I first posted the casting announcement, a guy from Texas emailed me to tell me he was coming to the audition. He never made it, but I was shocked that some people are that committed and driven to do this, even if it's a non-paying role on a web series that's not guaranteed to take off.

Right now, I plan on holding auditions some time in July to fill the lead role and fill some other roles. My lead actress has agreed to come in to read with the candidates. After that, the question is whether or not to re-shoot the first episode. Considering I plastered the guy's face all over the website and the Facebook page in promoting the show, I think a clean break would be good.

Of course, if I can't find another actor to replace him, I may be forced to pull the plug.

Bottom line: actors are often erratic.

Money vastly increases the reliability of performers.

In general people are erratic, and money is most definitely an equalizer. But, there's plenty of talent who want and need experience. In all my experiences with actors, I've only had problems with two. Everyone else has been fantastic. When actresses apply to my new ad, I send them an e-mail with all the nudity and lo pay details. You think they'd run away. None have. They're all cool with it. They want to act.

MJB: When you sit across from the auditioners and one of them shows a sign of true talent, you'll completely forget the one you lost and revel in the one you found.

Always remember, as the film-maker you'll have a product (good or bad) and they won't. That's enough to get your motor running, and renew the desire to do your absolute best.

I don't know what it is. But, for some reason when you have something to prove, you have a tendency to put more effort and drive into your work. I got that drive bad.

I empathize with you. A production I'm assisting with has required six script re-writes because of changes in actors, locations, etc.

I would strongly suggest you not pull the plug. If you can, film a 'trailer' or at least get a good storyboard version using voice actors that you can use to help promote the effort to get financing. Then look at resources to get funding. Having something that you can direct potential actors at will also build some confidence.

As several have mentioned, money and a contract are your best bets when you actually film the series. If you ask for good will support, then you must be willing to accept when others cannot meet your schedule or needs.

Even though commitment often scares people, I think a non-binding contract just to spell out expectations--"name credit", "release to use image", etc. is a good policy. Since you are compensating with meals and gas, that is a form of payment. If you have a company and keep track of these expenses, you may be able to write them off. I know this probably just a "get your feet wet" situation, but it's good to think about business procedure. Eventually you will need to think about filming permits and other aspects as you expand.

A contract and also look into SAG actors for low/no budget productions. They will not cost you money and they are more reliable than non-union actors. A SAG rep will be at your production to make sure contract rules are observed. SAG actors are FAR less likely to flake because SAG will deal with them. They must be WILLING TO WORK to remain in SAG. That does not apply to non-union talent.

I've also learned a good script will attract SAG and good actors.

If you can't afford to pay talent, consider SAG.

From what a SAG actress explained, SAG cast members will be working for SAG points, which they need to keep their SAG cards and the non-SAG actors will get a SAG waiver. So, money is not always a motivator. With a SAG rep at the production, their attendance and hours they put in will be reported back to SAG. So, there is a win / win for everyone. They will have to work the hours and days you sign them up for to get their SAG point(s).

Re-cast for sure, reshoot if you can, and learn how write quips so that you can kill off characters are replacement them equivalents.

First movie I killed off the lead actress's character cause I knew no way was she doing to film a sequel with us... Just how I roll.

Since you're not/didn't paying/paid actors, you really need to bite the bullet and find the most reliable actor, not the "best" actor for this central role. Modify the script so the central character is always surrounded by characters who are GREAT actors but can easily be replaced.

Example of this: Seinfeld, Jerry wasn't the greatest actor, but when surrounded by characters Kramer, George and Elaine, no one noticed.

Back