Casting for Action Productions

My process isn't perfect, but it's getting better.

I have a three part audition.

1. The interview. Feel out the actors to see if they are team players or egos. Ask them what is most important to them to become part of a production. Ask them if they are cool with little or no dialogue. Ask them if they have ever done their own stunts before. Ask them do they understand that even a small role that only last one page may be very critical to the success of a film. Can they be team players and put their all into such a small role? Watch their reaction.

2. The reading. Record it. For small roles, have them read more than once. Are they creating the mood and emotion you are looking for? How well are they creating the feel for your character? In science fiction, are they creating the right feel for a non-human character? Are they getting into the character?

I hate these portable devices for editing.

3. The stunts. Have good representations for weapons actors will need and a stunt partner available. Test them with weapons, throwing kicks, getting into battle stances and video tape it all. You need records of where people are with their stunts and readings.

On the first try with the reading and stunts, I look to see what they know on their own. For the second try, I give them direction to see how well they can follow direction. For stunts, I like to see what they know about weapons and how to throw kicks. If, for example, you ask to see a round house kick and the actor only uses their leg, they have never done stunts before. A trained martial artis knows how to pivot their whole body into a round house kick.

Back