Is this how media outlets do it?

When media outlets produce documentaries, news segments, and television programs on pop culture/focused on entertainment news and they have it heavily saturated with high-quality video footage of celebrities walking "step and repeats" at events --as well as candid high-quality paparazzi footage of the celebrities out and about --are they using B-roll footage from professional photo/video purveyors like "Wire" and "Getty Images"?

Are they using B-roll video footage from "Getty Images" and photos from both "Wire" and "Getty Images", narrating over them whatever it is they wish to announce, and adding text, musical scores, graphics, and color graded effects to attain what I've been looking at?

An example would be in this clip, particularly the part between the 1:28 - 2:01 marks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJACIci0uLc

There's a part where the celebrity subject of the clip is shown in a photograph/mugshot with a graphic surrounding the photograph/in it's background and text accompanying it with a person narrating the text. It's between the 1:03 and 1:18 marks.

Is that how they do it?

Is this an example of B-roll footage they'd use in a clip like the one posted:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/v...al-screen-actors-guild-news-footage/462346220

It's from "Getty Images".

Last edited:
I believe the answer to all of your questions is yes. I work for a news agency and can answer your questions, but they are not clear. Are you asking how do news agencies get video on the subject of a package? Are you just asking a general question about how do news agencies create packages?

I believe the answer to all of your questions is yes. I work for a news agency and can answer your questions, but they are not clear. Are you asking how do news agencies get video on the subject of a package? Are you just asking a general question about how do news agencies create packages?

I don't know what you mean when you say "package". The question pertains to wanting to know how news outlets get footage of subjects featured in their stories -- paparazzi, step-and-repeat, and interview footage-- to use as b-roll for their stories.

Back