• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What camera does Hollywood use in lowlight?

Hey, title pretty much sums it up.

Let's say I have a film that is 30-40% during night time, under clear skies and such. The irony in my question is that I know Hollywood would light the crap out of it and then use something like an Arri. But I'm sure even they are restricted by different factors sometimes to not light it enough so they'd have to compensate with a better camera for low light. What would they use? Have you heard of a7s being used yet for example, or do you reckon they generally go for more Dynamic Range over ISO sensitivity, and would choose a Canon 5dMark III instead for example?

Before anybody jumps on the bandwagon to say don't try to produce like hollywood if you are not hollywood, I'll just say I'd rather do it like them on this particular detail. The technical is still the technical, regardless of being indie or a studio.

brand new camera and the best they can do is post a video from 2013?

The article explains that the video is a promotional piece created for an earlier iteration of this powerful sensor design that had been developed back in 2013. They just haven't had a lot of publicity around it I suppose, and only just now have released a camera utilizing this sensor.

Plenty of brand new hardware and even films have prototype projects and test videos that are years older than the final product.

Back