• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Digital Archiving

I have all these short films that I no longer have the original files for, just the burned DVD for playback. As far as archiving goes.. did I screw up? I want to jump into making a feature but I have this CRAZY fear that it will all be for nothing and years down the line only a degraded copy of it will survive. How does one output for archival purposes in the digital age?

That is an on going debate. Some say we will always make adapters or converters since we have now stored so much digitally. Others say, our formats and codecs will become obsolete just like anything else in history.

For now, I would rip the DVD's and have backup copies in the form of AVI and mp4. If those start fading away, convert them into whatever is taking their place.

It really depends on why you're archiving, I guess.

Professionally, full quality versions are archived onto LTO tapes and are constantly updated, depending on how rapidly new LTO versions get released. It's also becoming increasingly common for all the associated files to be archived as well (ie: project files, edit sequences, original unused takes, EDLs etc).
OR
Are backed up onto film negative.

If you just want a copy of your film that will last, export a full quality version (whatever that may be) and upload it to the cloud in a few different places - maybe somewhere like Mediafire. Keep a copy on a drive and on a Data DVD or Blu-Ray, as well as a playable DVD or Blu-Ray. Update archives as necessary (ie. transfer to new archive drives once your archive drive is x years old).

Also, archiving to tape is not a bad idea either - HDCAM SR is expensive but great quality. DVCPRO HD is less expensive, still great quality, though perhaps less abundant these dasy.

It really depends on why you're archiving, I guess.

Professionally, full quality versions are archived onto LTO tapes and are constantly updated, depending on how rapidly new LTO versions get released. It's also becoming increasingly common for all the associated files to be archived as well (ie: project files, edit sequences, original unused takes, EDLs etc).
OR
Are backed up onto film negative.

If you just want a copy of your film that will last, export a full quality version (whatever that may be) and upload it to the cloud in a few different places - maybe somewhere like Mediafire. Keep a copy on a drive and on a Data DVD or Blu-Ray, as well as a playable DVD or Blu-Ray. Update archives as necessary (ie. transfer to new archive drives once your archive drive is x years old).

Also, archiving to tape is not a bad idea either - HDCAM SR is expensive but great quality. DVCPRO HD is less expensive, still great quality, though perhaps less abundant these dasy.

You are correct. LTO is probably the most common professional archiving output (my studio does it). For my own personal projects and uses, I do a Media Manage in FCP and back that up to two different hard drives. That actually saved my ass because I went back and performed some color treatments on some older projects (now that I know how to color) :)

You should be in the habit of getting a new project drive for every new production you work on. It should contain everything from the raw footage to the final cut. I got out of the habit of exporting to tape to creating a DVD disk image as well as physical DVDs. Make copies on more than one external hard drive.

I got those tips from an editor who worked for Canal+.

I have followed them and have great results.

Back