More people already successful = less chance of newcomers to gain success?

I've had a recurring thought over the past week about how a person interested in a certain creative field, whatever that may be, finds success in a new arena, a new platform, or a new concept, and the more that do so, the less chance other newcomers have to be noticed. One such arena and platform was of course YouTube. Initially those who found success were able to do so because the platform was new and as the years went by they became more successful but nowadays it's harder for newcomers to gain that same success.

My question is - do you think this is true, and if so do you think that a way for newcomers to find success is by coming up with something new and original that hasn't been done before which rises above the other more common concepts? What then would give that person a greater chance of that original concept being noticed?

It's the same old question asked a different way.

Yes, kind of harder but not really. It's still the same. Deliver what people want & market it to them. It's really hard work. I think what's making it harder for newcomers is a sense of entitlement. Too many people refuse to do the hard work that it takes to be successful. Develop goals, find an audience, find a new idea, or make an old idea fresh that the audience wants to consume or a competitive advantage over your competition and work towards the goals.

It's both harder and easier to find your audience these days. Easier in the way that social media has really put the power in the hands of the people. Harder as there's so much clutter and you need to find a way to rise above the noise.

To sum up, no it's not really harder, just different. Adapt.

I agree, hard work and putting in the time and effort is definitely a key element to any success. The people who don't have success don't think about the effort those who do have success needed to put into it, they just see the results of the hard work.

I think too it depends on a person's own idea of success or what they want to get out of it. For example a person might like to create content just to be creative and if people like it great, if they don't fair enough. But another person might want to create content to make money, not to become famous or anything but just to be financially rewarded for their content, and of course others just want to be famous outright because to them being famous is the be all and end all of their life.

Think of it this way: if more people are becoming successful, then surely that's a sign that the entertainment market is becoming more popular, ergo no reason why you shouldn't become similarly successful if you put your mind to it.

I'm thinking upbeat: more folks doing well in the industry = more chance each of us has at also making a name for ourselves. Not necessarily becoming world-renowned, but you know, as success goes, sky's the limit if you've got a commercially viable idea.

Back