How my $50k indie project got to HULU

Hey everyone name is Giancarlo. I work in film, tv and commercial production out here in LA.

I produced a feature length web show called Complete Works back in August 2012. Total budget was about $50,000 and we raised the money independently. 1 year & 8 months later... after post production and getting an agent and looking for distribution... We found a home on Hulu! It was a long and tough process but I wanted to share my experience with you all. Even though a project might take a LONG time to finish, there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

Our story was published on Movie Maker Magazine (click here for our article).

Show Trailer
Show Hulu Page

I would love to interact with other indie filmmakers and hear your stories as well. Please reach out to me on instagram or twitter (@FilmThat for both) or reply here!

Giancarlo

FYI went I went back and watched the trailer a second time, no ads that time for it and then it started playing right into the season. I ended up watching two episodes but was supposed to be doing work so I had to pull myself away after that.

I liked the writing, good stuff.
The white othello was funny but I kept expecting someone to reference orson welles since he did the role

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045251/?ref_=nv_sr_4

Ah, thanks for giving it another try! And thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Nice.

Wow, that location is stunning.

Thanks for the article link and sharing your experiences.

Fingers crossed it goes well. :)

Thanks so much. The location in the script was set in Italy. Obviously, we couldn't afford to film out there so we were able to use an Italian estate owned by the family of one of the creators of the show. We really filmed all those scenes in Palos Verdes. :)

congrats! I got my film onto Hulu too but after along process of self distribution. It was the last stop for my film since it doesn't give that much revenue return. But it seems like yours is more of a featured project on Hulu, awesome!

I sold DVD's first, then itunes and Amazon VOD through Distribber(which sucks and I'll never use again), then used Reelhouse.org to sell directly digital sales, and also working on getting int'l deal which finally a deal in China is signed, but they only offered upfront $2000 for all rights for 5years. And also through another aggregator I got a months play on Comcast onDemand, and same aggregator got it onto Hulu, and soon will be on google play as well.

My film is called "Bang Bang"

After 3years since its DVD release, countless hours marketing it and promoting it, I think I almost made back the initial budget. Yup, u really gotta love it to be making indie films. best of luck to ya!

Thanks so much. The location in the script was set in Italy. Obviously, we couldn't afford to film out there so we were able to use an Italian estate owned by the family of one of the creators of the show. We really filmed all those scenes in Palos Verdes. :)

Independently of this thread, I'd seen the trailer on YouTube and was vaguely curious about watching it. Can't see it as I'm in the UK but if it gets distribution in EMEA, let me know and I'll have a look. Should have potential to do something in the UK.

Am working on a small project of my own which might have commercial value (fingers crossed - no idea what will happen but am working on it). Have realized the marketing plan is the single, biggest, most complex element and built this out but could really use learning from your experience.

On a more serious note, at what point did you think about commercialization of your movie? And what were the key trigger points for each of the marketing elements?

Late to see this post. TERRIFIC TRAILER! Personally, I think you should have made this as a feature. The acting and writing are very good. My opinion is people are more likely to buy a feature than get into a web series. But great you've made back your budget. I'll be interested to see if going your route was the better choice than the feature route. Best of luck.

Back