What fees for SFX artist

Hi All,

Basically I have a make-up/SFX artist who is prepared to work on my film, she has quoted a day rate of which i can afford, but do i have to pay extra for materials or is that included in her fee?

what im more or less asking is the standard excluding material fees or including?

I would imagine that a professional makeup artist would have their own makeup kit. I think you'd only really be responsible for buying prosthetics, latex, wigs, fake blood, etc.

gorilla, is this true even with materials that cost exorbitant amounts of money? (for instance, an exploding head prosthetic effect that squirts blood 50 feet in the air after chunks of lifelike brain matter fly at the camera)

Typically, if the SFX is more than make-up, and includes prosthetic and blood, or special masks, you have to pay for that stuff separately, and it can get expensive, depending on what it is you're asking. They're not making money off the materials. The materials cost money. Sometimes 300-500 bucks.

This should all be delineated in detail in your contract so there are no surprises for either of you. Contracts are great as the greatly reduce misunderstandings by specifying responsibilities and how costs will be managed.

For "low" budget projects my clients pay for expendables, such as produce for vegetable abuse, obtaining and recording specific vehicles and the like; the client usually has to pre-approve each item. When I have a "big" budget those things are already included in the initial audio post estimate.

She will almost certainly bill you for materials if her work is prosthetics heavy, or make-up intensive (i.e. blood, dirt, ash, face paint...etc.). If it's just standard MUA work, then I'm sure her day-rate will cover her equipment costs.

Typically, if the SFX is more than make-up, and includes prosthetic and blood, or special masks, you have to pay for that stuff separately, and it can get expensive, depending on what it is you're asking. They're not making money off the materials. The materials cost money. Sometimes 300-500 bucks.

Oops, I think my question may have been confusing.

Pretty sure we're talking about the same thing: if you hire a SFX artist and ask them to do an exploding head scene, they'll charge you a rate in which the cost of ALL materials is included.

Back