Aspiring film maker... format??

Hello,

I am an aspiring film maker and I have done some things with less expensive cameras but I am looking to upgrade...

I have around 5,000 to spend and I don't know if I should go with mini DV or 8-16mm....

I am totally frustrated. After buying a couple of Bolex 16mm cameras, along with a Konvas 35mm (with a large inventory of lenses), I read an article in which a director and actor Dennis Leary stated that current high definition production costs versus film costs are so widely apart there is no consideration as to which format one should consider. For example, one producer pointed out that the cost of one HD casette is 1/50the cost of 35mm film purchases, developing, dailies, shipping, etc. You have instant product with the HD cassette and you have to wait for the film return and risk damage by the shipping carriers. They did point out, however, that film still has its uses. They recommend that all production companies go to HD 1080i but keep film cameras for slow-motion, fast-action and shooting that is so active that it might damage the HD video camera. So, I guess I'll have to spring for an HD video 1080i camera and keep one Bolex 16mm and the Konvas 35mm for occasional shots. Meanwhile, I have 20 cans of 16 and 35mm film aging in the fridge.

Wild Bill
Columbia SC

Well, keep in mind if the production is good enough, Hollywood really dosen't care if you shoot on film or video. Case in point:

Blair Witch
28 Days
Open Water
Dancer in the Dark
The Poor and Hungry

There's a few more, but these movies, shot on standard definition video are very good and did well.

Don't forget all the movies being shot today in HD that are being transferred to film. Some of those you can't tell the difference.

I opted for a Sony PD170. Why? Lighting. I'm shooting a vampire flick and it's all shot at night. Excellent color definition at 1 lux really makes a difference. I just wish it could shoot at 24p, but that will be my next camera.

Ooh, hockey's on. Gotta go.

Back