Scenic Film Production, Don't know where to start!?

Ok so i'll get started on my situation,, here it is (sorry if it's a bit long)

I'm really interested in film making, but haven't yet made anything beyond a music video, and I really have no Idea how to really plan for this new short scenic film I am soon to start on. I have decent DSLR gear, a quadcopter which allows me to take unlimited, smooth aerial footage, no use of a helicopter needed. And I understand how to use the gear I have, but the biggest problem is how to plan this scenic film out so it looks to the standard I have dreamt of it looking like.

The idea of this film is for it to be more like a 8-12 Minute (is 8-12 mins too short?) scenic film accompanied by emotional music, I have a talented music composer who i'm thankful to be affiliated with right now, so the audio is something I have a lot of control over creatively (so no need of sourcing pre created audio) ...

Do any of you do many scenic films? Something that connects one to nature through amazing angles, compositions and audio. Here is my current, basic plan.

1. Watch relevant scenic films to get some inspiration and scout google maps for possible locations to film in.
2. Create an inspiration / shot list board
3. Construct a storyboard
4. Commence filming, continue to film for 1-2 Months
I will leave 8 weeks of time to film to get the perfect light/weather for each location.
5. Commence discussion with my audio composer, work on sound etc and build from there
6. Cut scenes together (based on storyboard)
7. Work deep into the creation of the audio to make a real connection between the audio/video.
8. Finalise, color grading, perfecting etc etc.

That is a basic plan of the process I am planning to do. I feel like it's just too simple of a plan, I really want this to be amazing, I don't want to just wow someone and they walk away and forget about it, I want people to feel connected to the film really deeply.

What do you think I should do? Currently i'm just in that phase of saying 'Project commences in one month' when really I have no clear Idea of how to 'start' this project and keep it going to create something amazing. I guess my biggest fear is realising this is too hard and giving up, with a finished product that looks just ok.

Have a look at some past work I've done, it's very amateurish, however the footage was taken before I got into film, so the quality of angles/filming with this new project will be far superior to what you see in my past work. http://www.youtube.com/user/jacobgrozotis?feature=watch

I appreciate the help SO much! :)

Thanks so much,
-Jacob

Seems to me that so much of "scenic" is somewhat chancy, so Id suggest doubling the amount of footage you plan on taking. more shots means you have a better chance of getting something great.

Maybe you can write or have written, a great narration to guide your choices. Even if in the end you don't use the narration, you have a "story" that you shot and edited to.. >>

I guess my biggest fear is realising this is too hard and giving up, with a finished product that looks just ok.

It seems like you've thought out the process in which you need to create the project fairly thoroughly; I'm no expert at this kind of shooting, but it seems like you've thought it out quite well and structured your steps. I do think it's a smart idea to plan to have lenience and availability with locations depending on weather and lighting, though. When filming nature, you're entirely at its whim, which can be remarkably frustrating and rewarding at the same time. A couple weeks ago I had to film a sunset in front of a specific item, so I went to the spot I was shooting at each day for five or six days and captured each sunset. On the last day, I captured a sunset far more magnificent and colorful than the previous half dozen I had already taken shots of. Had I not allowed myself that time or patience, the shot would have sucked with a bad sunrise from the first day or two I shot.

The reason I quoted your statement above, though, is because that sort of stuck out to me. You should never give up on a project because you have a fear of giving up, or that it'll be too hard, or that it'll look okay. Because if you don't do the project, then you won't get better. If you never try it, you'll never know if it looked beautiful or mediocre. If it looks mediocre, and more often than not, our first few attempts at anything will, you learn a couple reasons why it was mediocre and fix those in the next project. And you rinse and repeat that until there's no longer a fear of shooting a shot like this. Then, by the time all of that is done, you'll be a far better film maker for having spent the time learning how to do this specific kind of film, and you move onto the next.

So, I say go for it. Just start it up full throttle and see where it takes you.

Back