Textbook Film Rules

Hi there Indietalkers,

I am currently writing a short experimental film where I would like to manipulate as many textbook rules of film as possible. I am looking for any you can provide, for example i'll start off:

1. Rule of 1/3rds
2. Don't break the 4th Wall
...etc

Cheers,
UKFB

*I will be quick to post the short as soon as it is finished.

Hi there Indietalkers,

I am currently writing a short experimental film where I would like to manipulate as many textbook rules of film as possible. I am looking for any you can provide, for example i'll start off:

1. Rule of 1/3rds
2. Don't break the 4th Wall
...etc

Cheers,
UKFB

*I will be quick to post the short as soon as it is finished.

* 180 Degree Rule

You know there's an easy way to do this. Produce a film and hire a kid who has no idea about filmmaking as the director. DP too.

I'm a believer you have to know and mostly adhere to the rules before you break them. If you've not crossed the line for the first 40 minutes of the movie then suddenly cross the line, THEN it has some effect. If you do it from the beginning you are speaking chinese to a dutch audience (i.e they don't understand your language). They are just confused and put off.

I'm a believer you have to know and mostly adhere to the rules before you break them. If you've not crossed the line for the first 40 minutes of the movie then suddenly cross the line, THEN it has some effect. If you do it from the beginning you are speaking chinese to a dutch audience (i.e they don't understand your language). They are just confused and put off.

You talking about the 180 line?

I think its a typical beginner mistake to WANT to break the rules...you probably think you are being clever and defiant but i would advise you against it. The rules they teach you in film school or textbooks exist for a reason, you should only go against them if its for a legitimate creative reason- better then "i was just being artistic"

Really good directors that break the "rules" know when it is appropriate and when it is not. I think it is very tell-tale of an amateur to think, being intentionally defiant is a unique idea. It has been done, time and time again.

To quote my directing class instructor, " All film students seem to have this urge to be all dark and brooding and swim against the grain" The real trouble with that is before you can start stretching the limits you first must understand the standards that have been set by generations of great film makers to come before you

That being said, its not wrong to be experimental, i am just suggesting that perhaps you reconsider wasting your time on an "entire" project dedicated to doing things intentionally "wrong" - it seems like an in vain, objective.

Back