Question for filmmakers...

Indie filmmakers to industry professionals,

How do you find locations to film and how much does it usually cost? Do you have a set budget for production locations?

Thanks!

Do you have a set budget for production locations?

You start with your script and your budget, then work backwards from there. That applies to everything, not just the locations.

Example... Got a budget of $1,000 and known locations spread over nine (9) cities? You either need a bigger budget or a script rewrite.

BTW, you also need to scout the locations for their sound as well as how they look.

If I'm making money with the production (I'm doing a lot of corporate videos), I'm willing to pay for a location, but it has to fit the budget.
For shorts (that just cost me money) I always try to get a free location.
That usually means looking and asking around in my social circle, just like sfoster said.

And sometimes we just work guerilla style :P

So I guess what I'm asking is...do you usually pay for your locations, or do you try and find places that will let you film free?
For me each project has a different answer.

When I can I use locations available to me for free. I'll toss in a few
bucks to cover costs and as a show of gratitude. When I need
something specific that isn't available to me through my friends,
cast or crew, I'll pay.

In general, for no budget films I write only for location I can get
for free.

How do you find locations to film and how much does it usually cost?

Well, our production team usually find locations in online locations directory sites such as Lights On Location because through sites like this we have the idea if the locations are available especially the cost in renting such properties. The other advantage of it is that, wherever we will be filming, sites like this can provide us information on near filming locations available.

Back