DME. Books or Sites on Distribution.

I've been doing a bit of research on feature film distribution and what deliverables potential distributors look for. I've come across the phrase "DME separated" and haven't yet found an explanation for what DME means. Could someone here enlighten me?

While I'm on the subject of distribution, what books, sites or other sources of info do you recommend I take a look at related to the details of distribution? They could include...

—Types of distribution deals and what to include in them.
—Reputable distributors.
—How revenue is handled.
—Types of rights.
—Technical info for deliverables typically needed.

All other useful info.

Thanks.

—Types of distribution deals and what to include in them.
—Reputable distributors.
—How revenue is handled.
—Types of rights.
—Technical info for deliverables typically needed.

Outside finding a producing mentor, the only place that I've come across with that information is Filmspecific.com

I've come across the phrase "DME separated" and haven't yet found an explanation for what DME means. Could someone here enlighten me?

Most/all commercial distributors and TV networks will require various audio deliverables: 1. Obviously a full mix, either: A theatrical standard 5,1, 7.1 or higher mix. A broadcast 5.1 mix for HDTV, compliant with their specs and inter/national specs (either ATSC or EBU). 2. In addition they will usually require a stereo fold-down (usually LtRt, sometimes LoRo) and 3. They will require some form of stem breakdown. This may be just an M&E mix, IE. A mix containing all the Music and sound Effects but without any of the Dialogue (or associated dialogue elements, such as room tone). For documentaries, it's more common to require a DM&E (or just "DME") mix rather than an M&E mix. A DME mix contains the same as an M&E (Music and Effects) mix, plus all the on-screen Dialogue (interviews, etc.). IE. The same as the full mix but minus the VO/narration. Confusingly, this DME mix will sometimes be referred to (in audio specs) as a "Mix minus (-)" or even as an M&E mix, as the assumption for docos is that an M&E mix is really a DME mix. Finally 4. Some distributors or broadcasters will have additional audio deliverables requirements beyond these standard basics, for example a full compliment of individual (separated) stems.

Standard professional audio post workflow practice has always been to work in stems and the mixing phase separated into three sub-phases; the pre-mix, final-mix and print-mastering phases. In the pre-mix phase all the stems are mixed, in the final-mix these stems are mixed together and print-mastering is where the final mix and all the other required deliverables are physically re-recorded (rendered into audio files).

In my experience, the primary distributor/broadcaster is usually known well before audio-post starts and therefore the audio deliverables tailored to that particular broadcaster's/distributor's specifications/requirements. However, even in this case and where the specific distributor/broadcaster doesn't require individual (separated) stems, it's still common practice for a Producer to require them, to cover most of the likely bases of any future syndication/sub-distribution (which is usually not yet known).

As I mentioned, there can be (and frequently is) some confusion of terms and it's not uncommon to find apparently contradictory requirements in broadcaster's/distributor's published audio specs. Therefore, a fair amount of knowledge/experience is required to "interpret" published specs and even then, clarification is sometimes needed as many distributors/broadcasters update their audio specs every year or so. It is possible that the term "DME separated" has nothing to do with audio and is something else entirely (although I don't know what that could be). But it's not an entirely unexpected (or un-encountered) term for what we in the audio-post community would more commonly refer to as "individual stems".

G

Most/all commercial distributors and TV networks will require various audio deliverables: 1. Obviously a full mix, either: A theatrical standard 5,1, 7.1 or higher mix. A broadcast 5.1 mix for HDTV, compliant with their specs and inter/national specs (either ATSC or EBU). 2. In addition they will usually require a stereo fold-down (usually LtRt, sometimes LoRo) and 3. They will require some form of stem breakdown. This may be just an M&E mix, IE. A mix containing all the Music and sound Effects but without any of the Dialogue (or associated dialogue elements, such as room tone). For documentaries, it's more common to require a DM&E (or just "DME") mix rather than an M&E mix. A DME mix contains the same as an M&E (Music and Effects) mix, plus all the on-screen Dialogue (interviews, etc.). IE. The same as the full mix but minus the VO/narration. Confusingly, this DME mix will sometimes be referred to (in audio specs) as a "Mix minus (-)" or even as an M&E mix, as the assumption for docos is that an M&E mix is really a DME mix. Finally 4. Some distributors or broadcasters will have additional audio deliverables requirements beyond these standard basics, for example a full compliment of individual (separated) stems.

Standard professional audio post workflow practice has always been to work in stems and the mixing phase separated into three sub-phases; the pre-mix, final-mix and print-mastering phases. In the pre-mix phase all the stems are mixed, in the final-mix these stems are mixed together and print-mastering is where the final mix and all the other required deliverables are physically re-recorded (rendered into audio files).

In my experience, the primary distributor/broadcaster is usually known well before audio-post starts and therefore the audio deliverables tailored to that particular broadcaster's/distributor's specifications/requirements. However, even in this case and where the specific distributor/broadcaster doesn't require individual (separated) stems, it's still common practice for a Producer to require them, to cover most of the likely bases of any future syndication/sub-distribution (which is usually not yet known).

As I mentioned, there can be (and frequently is) some confusion of terms and it's not uncommon to find apparently contradictory requirements in broadcaster's/distributor's published audio specs. Therefore, a fair amount of knowledge/experience is required to "interpret" published specs and even then, clarification is sometimes needed as many distributors/broadcasters update their audio specs every year or so. It is possible that the term "DME separated" has nothing to do with audio and is something else entirely (although I don't know what that could be). But it's not an entirely unexpected (or un-encountered) term for what we in the audio-post community would more commonly refer to as "individual stems".

G

Please excuse the long delay in my response (I was been away & busy with other matters and I just saw your reply). Thanks very much, AudioPostExpert, for the detailed information and the lesson. I find it valuable.

This, to me, seems the likely explanation behind "DME separated" as I saw earlier. My film is a narrative drama, so it would make sense to have those dialogue, music and effects stems separated.

Back