Anyone not that impressed by Blue Ray?

I bought a blue ray player finally a few months ago, but I got to say, I am not really noticing a huge jump in quality in general. Some movies look really good on it, I have bought so far. Especially when it comes to older movies mores so. Some older movies look really good such as From Russia with Love, and some of the James Bond ones I bought.

But some look kind of noisy and grainy, such as Total Recall (1990 one), and The Last House on the Left (1972 one). So it seems that it may look good for some movies, but on others, you see more of the noisy artifacts and what not.

What do you think?

I bought a blue ray player finally a few months ago, but I got to say, I am not really noticing a huge jump in quality in general. Some movies look really good on it, I have bought so far. Especially when it comes to older movies mores so. Some older movies look really good such as From Russia with Love, and some of the James Bond ones I bought.

But some look kind of noisy and grainy, such as Total Recall (1990 one), and The Last House on the Left (1972 one). So it seems that it may look good for some movies, but on others, you see more of the noisy artifacts and what not.

What do you think?

Its true - some do have rushed/poor transfers, or degraded source print. Keep in mind, average theater release prints had ~1k of detail. I have a couple like that - but the vast majority (recently shot) are exceptional....

On my home theater screen, blu ray resolving power is simply necessary, not a preference (not to mention sound)

Last edited:
Well instead of reading that a movie is shot on 35mm or 1080p, I think they should say on the cover or online what the transfer of a blue ray, so you know whether or not it's worth buying over the DVD.

You know you need an HDTV to be able to experience the higher quality of Blu Ray..?

Also, it can very much depend on the quality of your panel, as much as the Blu-Ray itself.

Hey, I think it's awesome. HD was the long dreamed of reality for videophiles. Now that it's here, I sure can't complain. Sure, DVD resolution is still okay. But once you go HD, DVDs (and other lower quality resolution sources) do leave me wanting better.

Now that I've had the unfortunate pleasure of having to compress my 125GB feature film down to fit on a 25GB disc, I officially hate Blu-ray. It's miles better than DVD quality, sure, but when you've been staring at a computer monitor editing your uncompressed footage for several months, that Blu-ray compression really kills your spirits. I think professional blu-ray imprinting is a more sophisticated process that yields higher quality results, but there's always a compromise.

Can't wait for uncompressed media to be the norm.

High definition ie 1080 is good for certain movies. I like it for high detail fantasy or special effects movies.

3D I hate.

4K looks great from what I have seen of it but I wonder if the human eye can take in that much at any given time or whether its wasted.

4K looks great from what I have seen of it but I wonder if the human eye can take in that much at any given time or whether its wasted.

4K is only necessary on the largest of screens. Most of the time, the only way you'd notice a difference between 4k and HD is if you were within a couple of feet of the screen - and who watches television only a couple of feet away from the screen?!

I'm not a very visual person. I still watch VHS tapes. I can see the difference between a blu-ray and a DVD, but usually it's not that important to me. I have in the past year bought both, mostly based on whichever one I find/is cheaper when shopping. The combo pack thing I find kind of silly, but from a manufacturing standpoint, it's cheaper (and you can be sure to be getting the full price on sales).

I did re-buy a bunch of movies on DVD (mostly because the tapes had worn out). I don't feel the need to re-buy movies on blu-ray. Well, maybe Legend :)

If you were to play the same movie on two different screens at once, one being the dvd version and the other being the blu-ray version you will definitely notice the difference.

I think the difference is very noticeable, but for me the question is "does it make the experience better?"

I suppose for some kind of films, particularly blockbusters it must be more exciting to watch the film with uncompressed audio and really great video quality but I find it not to be worth the money for most of the films I watch. DVD's are much cheaper so I'd rather buy four DVD's instead of just one Blu-Ray, especially if its my first viewing of a film. My favorite films though, I want to get in the best format possible so I'll re-buy them as Blu-Rays.

I think the difference is very noticeable, but for me the question is "does it make the experience better?"

I suppose for some kind of films, particularly blockbusters it must be more exciting to watch the film with uncompressed audio and really great video quality but I find it not to be worth the money for most of the films I watch. DVD's are much cheaper so I'd rather buy four DVD's instead of just one Blu-Ray, especially if its my first viewing of a film. My favorite films though, I want to get in the best format possible so I'll re-buy them as Blu-Rays.

what kind of blu-rays are you buying that cost 4 DVDs? blu-rays average around £5-10 from what iv seen, Dvds £3-9 which isn't much difference..

If you have a decent TV and a Blu-ray player then blu-ray is a no brainer, otherwise 1080p digital content is the next equivalent but not as good from what iv seen.

what kind of blu-rays are you buying that cost 4 DVDs? blu-rays average around £5-10 from what iv seen, Dvds £3-9 which isn't much difference..

If you have a decent TV and a Blu-ray player then blu-ray is a no brainer, otherwise 1080p digital content is the next equivalent but not as good from what iv seen.

It's not so much that the Blu-Ray's are expensive, but that the DVD's are so cheap. I can pick up several TCM collections (or other DVD collections) and have like 16 films, or I can buy 4 films on Blu-Ray. Since I can only buy films a few times a year (I live in the Dominican Republic, there are practically no DVD/Blu-Ray stores here), it does not make sense for me to purchase a few Blu-Rays instead of several DVD's. Once I move back to the USA, I think I'll be able to buy more Blu-Rays.

Back