"Fellini - Satyricon" Trend Maker?

The above movie has caused me to really think if it was in deed a trail blazer in regards to independent cinema. First, I noticed that is was really the first film to depict Ancient Rome as a trashy city, like it is today. Well dressed dignitaries sleep on straw beds in ruined down buildings and there is graffiti on the walls. No computerized images but well planned props. Also, there is a realistic made up transsexual person,one of the first in modern motion pictures, at least I have been told. Another first was the realistic Hermaphrodite used in the film. Excellent make up and very believable. The film's script is chaotic and is somewhat hard to follow. There is simulated coitus (much better in Midnight Cowboy). Rome is not a Mr. Clean place to live as compared to previous films. I have read Tacitus ¨The Burning of Rome¨and he also makes comment about the decapitated nature of Rome. The point being, can you think of another movie which shares this portrayal?

While a lot was changed (names/dates kind of stuff) for the sake of story and entertainment, the HBO's Rome did a fantastic job depicting that side of the city's history.

Back