movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Much Ado About Nothing: A

Everyone on this board should see this movie, full stop. Great performances and all around execution. Everyone on this board who is interested in writing dialog or directing RomComs should watch it several times.

I know not everyone will agree, but I am starting to prefer this sort of style when filming Shakespeare to ones like Hamlet w/Mel Gibson which attempt to be period pieces at the same time. But I also really liked Coriolanus, so YMMV and all that, or something.

WWZ: B/B- I can't quite decide.

Brad Pitt fights Zombie Horde while on world tour of hellish landscapes for the UN. Solid production quality, some fun moments, but a little too predictable and relied too much on the writer forcing serendipity for my taste. I want to dislike this movie more for those qualities and for being a PG-13 Zombie movie, but it's redeeming features sway me against doing so.

Coriolanus. Very good. Job well done, folks. I'm not familiar with the original play or how it's usually performed. The one shortcoming I would suggest is, adapting it to a (twenty-first century) film, and probably more importantly, to a twenty-first century setting, anyway, perhaps, and probably in the seventeenth century, as well, for that matter, the story does come off as a bit naïve. All the same, very nice film. Recommend.

Last edited:
BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO - Sounds incredible, looks great, final third fizzles out fast - 7/10

SYMPATHY FOR MR VENGEANCE - Not as sharp as his later films, but some fantastic moments and great sound design. 7.5/10

Mama - 7/10 (add two points if you are a horror fan)

Pretty decent movie, hampered only by a little horror-movie-stupid character decisions. The design and cinematography are beautiful (produced by GUillermo del Toro). Doubly so if you like forests/moths. The first half plays off the "did I just see that?" sort of subtleties. As with most supernatural horror films, the more they explain things, the more it sort of falls apart. But the ending was great.

pet peeve - the guitarist in the band near the beginning of the movie isn't playing the song (though the bassist is)

John Dies At the End - 8/10

A friend described it as Naked Lunch meets Lovecraft. Pretty apt description. Absolutely weird, knows it's weird and enjoys being weird. Coscarelli is as awesome as ever. Never read the book this was based on, but definitely want to now.

RHPS 10/10
LOL! RHPS is great!
Best seen in a theater where Rocky-philes can congregate with toast and TP to throw!

Django Unchained - 7.5/10
Look, I really really really WANT Q.T. to write/direct another Pulp Fiction, but... that just ain't gonna happen.
There's a lot of good stuff in here, I don't get the criticism for language and violence (the former is setting appropriate, the latter just ridiculous amusement), but he f**ks it up with his stupid omage camera work crap.
It's just retarded. The whip zooms in. The whip zooms out. And some of the other stupid stuff.
And for God's sakes, can C.Waltz please be given a different character than Hans Landa to play?! Seriously?! It's a delightful character, but... please. Quit.

Back