Panasonic G85 4K M43 camera

I have an older GH2 that's HD only and had been waiting on the GH5 so I could get 4K or better but it's still 6+ months out so I couldn't wait any longer and picked the G85. I'm looking to get the most out of it and would appreciate any pointers that might improve the video from it. My first tests were done in mostly default settings to get a baseline so I had it in A mode (aperture priority) with the Photo Style set to "Standard" and did some tests at a location that offered a good balance of tonal variation from bright sunlit to deep shadow as well as a mix of earthy desert tones and the rich color of the painted graffiti on the walls. I tested by only varying the exposure compensation from 0 to -2/3 -- again, I was just looking for a baseline. When I bring the video into PP CC and look at the unchanged video with the Lumetri Scopes it's obvious that the video is clipping at both ends and even with the EV at -2/3 the highlights are still clipping and the blacks are even more crushed. OK, first data point.

So I go out to the same location today with nearly the same Sun and tried a few things to see how that worked. For example, I varied the Photo Style between Standard and Custom and in Custom I set the adjustments to -3 for the contrast, sharpness and saturation -- I left the NR at zero. In addition, I tried a few settings of the Shadow/Highlight adjustment ranging from the default of 0/0 to Custom1 at -3/3 and Custom2 at -5/5. I further varied the exposure compensation at -2/3, 0 and +2/3. So far I get the best results as far as clipping is concerned with the Custom Photo Style at -3/-3/0/-3 and the SH at -5/5 (-5 Highlights and +5 Shadows).

Now, I have not yet done any testing using either Cinelike D or Cinelike V and I guess that will be my next step. But, what are others using the Panasonic systems using when scene is outdoors in sunlight with large contrast? What settings are folks using when shooting indoors under LED lighting?

I'm still playing around with the video I've already shot and may post some YouTube links in a day or two.

But, as a first pass evaluation I'm liking the G85 quite a bit though with only 3 days in hand I'm still getting a handle on it. I sure do like having a decent 4K camera as the resolution increase over the HD in the GH2 is quite noticable.

Brian

OK, I did some preliminary testing of the G85 using mostly default settings as a baseline. Using default settings isn't the best plan for serious video work but, again, I wanted a baseline.

Using the default settings all the video clips are clipping at both ends so the contrast is too high. I surmise that these baked in settings are set this way for the novice shooter that isn't doing much if any post work on a PC so they configured the default settings to get pleasing video straight out of the camera. But, by recording the video with high contrast, as well as high saturation and sharpening, they limit what you can get if you reduce the contrast, saturation and sharpening and leave that for post. Finally, although I did not focus on image stabilization there are signs of the problem that others are reporting with jumpy video while panning. I'll need to dig into that more as well as the advanced settings.

For now, here's some video I shot a few days ago -- you may skip forward to about 7:00 if you wish to avoid my babbling. Video is in 4K for those with 4K displays...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VKxYUqdTH4

Brian

Back