Does actor get paid for table reading and rehearsals?

There are no rules. Whatever you write into the contract is what they have to do. If you want your actors to show for the table read and rehearsal, write it into the contract, even if they're performing "free". You have to get them to sign a release anyway, so you can word in your requirements. If they balk, then look for another actor that is more committed.

Good luck.

There are no rules. Whatever you write into the contract is what they have to do. If you want your actors to show for the table read and rehearsal, write it into the contract, even if they're performing "free". You have to get them to sign a release anyway, so you can word in your requirements. If they balk, then look for another actor that is more committed.

Good luck.

Thank you.

Finder is spot on. You should get the releases (cast and crew) before you shoot. If for some reason someone shows up on the set without a release, stop the entire production (turn the camera and lights off) and hand them a clipboard with the release and they should sign on the spot.

If they don't sign, then send them home and tell them "you'll call them." Never let an unsigned cast or crew member linger around your set. Many an indie filmmaker have tales of woe about ruined productions over things like this!

Good luck!

My general rule of thumb is, "If I could be doing something else right now that would make me money, but can't because I'm helping you out... I should get paid."

This obviously isn't true for every production and every budget, but it's something I always keep in my head. On unpaid gigs, it makes me stay focussed as everyone's time is valuable, and they're giving it to me / the production. If I'm directing, it's my responsibility to make the most we can out of every moment on set that they are donating.

On unpaid gigs, it makes me stay focussed as everyone's time is valuable, and they're giving it to me / the production.

Knightly makes a really good point, as we often tend to think of people doing things in their 'free time' when they aren't getting paid - but as has often been said 'time is money'. It helps to think of people's time as money that they are contributing to your project, even if they aren't necessarily turning down paid work to do it. Before you ask someone to contribute time to your project you need to ask yourself if you'd be equally comfortable asking them to donate money - and if you'd expect them to say yes. Once they do contribute that time it's equally important to treat it in such a way as to acknowledge the value of their time.

Back