Finding actors

I am a director of no-budget shorts and experimental projects. Is shoot for the sake of art and not for the money I 'could' be making.

Finding actors for a project hasn't changed much in a 100 years or more.
Ya got a project and now ya need actors. The selection process is anything but easy.
We're not talking about Hollywood but us, indie guys who are trying to make art and have a difficult time.
So, all the pro actors removed from this converation.

1- How long does it take to find the right actors for your project?
Assuming there are actually a bunch who are willing to act for you.

2- Did you ever shoot a project when you found an actor and actually WROTE a project for him/her based on this actor's personality/looks/range/capability?
BTW, this is how the movie industry started, no scripts, just crank the camera and DO SOMETHING the director shouted. Many silent films were done without any scripts and made it up as they were going along.

Side note: For me, it was much easier to get a talented actor and write something specific for that person. It comes off very natural and don't have to "act" much because it's about the actor's personality/look is the key.
I don't have anything finished yet, since I just recently started with these kind of projects.

Welcome your comments.
-->Anyone from Oregon please PM me<--

This is a popular topic with lots of threads. Scroll through the threads.

Try your local film school or acting school for actors looking for experience and resume credits.

You can also place ads on Mandy.com. Their ads circulate all around the world and even show up on Craig's List. Specify it's a no pay gig. Good luck.

We're not talking about Hollywood but us, indie guys who are trying to make art and have a difficult time.
So, all the pro actors removed from this converation.

You seem to be under the illusion that "pro" actors cannot be found of Hollywood. :huh:

You can find them in virtually every city across the globe.

If you don't want to work with professional actors, that opens the field up even more! For every pro actor, there's a hundred other amateur actors. Maybe they are still working towards going pro, or simply satisfied with being the star on weekends, or are just plain wannabees... if you look for them, you will find them. In abundance.

Some will suck... some will be awesome. This applies to the pro actors, as well. ;)

Finding actors for a project hasn't changed much in a 100 years or more.

smiley_duckhunt.gif

1- How long does it take to find the right actors for your project?
Assuming there are actually a bunch who are willing to act for you.
Not very long. I put out an audition notice, get resumes and
headshots, sort through those until I narrow it down to the
few I actually want to see, set an audition date and then pick
the ones I like best. Could be a few weeks; could be a month.

2- Did you ever shoot a project when you found an actor and actually WROTE a project for him/her based on this actor's personality/looks/range/capability?
All the time. I love working with the same actors.

Back