• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Would anyone contribute to a "Wiki" Screenplay?

The geek part of me thinks it would be fun to post a screenplay to the web and then allow anyone to edit it in any way he/she saw fit. Following the wikipedia model, anyone could add characters, storylines, locations, etc. or delete same. (Of course, the filmmaker in me says this is screenwriting by committee and the way Disney writes most of its scripts so the final result could be a disaster).

The final result would be "open source" so it would not be "owned" by anyone (or more accurately, would be owned by everyone) so if someone wanted to use it, they wouldn't have to ask permission, they could just take it and run with it.

Anyway, would anyone be interested in something like this?

I think I'd find that a bit frustrating, having plot devices, characters and story constantly changing.

Still, it's an interesting idea. If this new board is set up with Private Groups, you should try it out. That would prevent random people from messing with the script for fun, while allowing access to the people who have a genuine cooperative intent in mind.

well what if we did like, the person below you adds on to the script? We do it scene by scene.

So i write a scene, next post zen writes a scene(all following and adding on to what happened earlier) and so on.

who cares, it can be on going forever or end whenever someone thinks the time has come. and if you want to film any of it, take what you think is the best and elaborate/build upon.

Good ideas, but I must admit I prefer the idea of a "wiki" type document. I like the idea that the screenplay could start as a Sci-Fi (and be essentially complete) but that, through additions and changes, could end up as a romantic comedy.

Thoughts?

yes but this all depends on which of the two you are. The ones that loved Dusk Til Dawn. And the ones who thought it was a kickass heist movie til the zombies came along.

Anyone still considering this? I just read it.. personally I think it's an interesting idea, however rather than writing a screenplay, I would through out a general story idea, and then do it as a 'neverending story' where people just add on to it in regular story (Novel, etc) fashion.. which could then be easily transposed into episodic shorts, each of which could be produced by different people.. the only catch to that would be how to handle the characters looking different each time. Depending on the type of story, it could work.. maybe not the last bit about different people producing different episodes, but you get the idea.

Back