• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Idea mining/farming/hatching/etc

Hey all... I have no problems with formatting a screenplay, or really what to include and what to leave out.. but I've been stuck with only extremely brief story fragments for so long I'm going crazy...

Anyone have any idea generation tips, or the like? Every once in a great while I get a flash of something that I think, hmmm that could be a good movie, but then it's gone and I can't expand it, or even remember all of it. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but oh well.. I guess it kind of makes me sound like a pot head or something, but no I just have so much other stuff going on (full time work, full time school, and two part time jobs) that everything gets so jumbled together it's surprising I remember anything these days.

I'm considering taking a few screenwriting courses next summer (when I will hopefully finally have a more managable schedule, assuming I finish school by then) that I recently noticed a local college offers... In fact they offer a Bachelors Degree in screenwriting, but I don' t think I need to go all that far with it.

Anyway, if you have any tips, tricks or whatever, stuff that works for you, etc.. I'd love to hear it. I know there's at least one great film dying to get out of me, but for some reason I can't get ahold of it to show it the way to the page.

Back