• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

have crap loads of ideas but don't know proper screenwriting? any help?

me and my partner have loads of ideas and ready to go if we knew how to properly write a screenplay. that's all we need to know.

Check out this book!

"How Scripts are Made" by Inga Karetnikova. Great book, very nice. It doesn't tell you HOW to write a script, it gives an understanding. . . if that makes sense. It has helped me out in writing screenplays, (even though I haven't really completed one) but I would recommend this book if you're looking for something to read.

You can get an idea on what screenplays look like (and how they are formatted) over at Drew's Script-o-Rama. Hundreds of scripts to look through.

You can get free formatting templates for MS-Word over at SonnyBoo's in his "Download" section. In the zip-file for Writers, there are three templates to use. (I like the "i-Script" one best).

_______

There are probably some good books to read, but I have no clue about any of the names of them. I'd bet that those "... for Dummies" books have one. They are usually easy to get through.

:)

I used to give a lecture, when I was teaching a short while back, called "How to write a screenplay when you can't write"

Here are the editied highlights:

1) Don't sit in front of a blank page and try to write the whole think from scratch.
2) Switch off your computer and buy a cheap notebook (pocket sized), a writing pad, some file cards and a few pens.
3) Put the small notebook and a pen in your pocket and take in everywhere (including bed)
4) Give yourself two weeks of just going about your everyday life and everytime you have an idea (good or bad) for a story, or a scene in a film just make a few notes, so you'll remember. if you see a good location that you think you might use, write that down as well.
5) At the end of the two weeks take your notes and transfer the ideas you like the best to the big pad.
6) Get your mates round and throw the ideas you've got and see which ones they run with (take notes of all the ideas, good or bad)

By this stage you'll have a rough story idea and maybe the rough outline of a few key scenes.

7) Get your file cards and write in rough the idea of the scenes you have, one card for each of the scenes. (They don't have to be connected, they are just scenes.
8) look at one of your rough scenes and ask yourself, if this is happening now (ie- The man searches the train for the missing suitcase) what happened before that or after that (ie- The man follows the girl to the train station), which then becomes another scene. Just repeat this process until your story/plot is complete.
9) Get some acting friends together in a large hall and explain your basic story. Then take one of the cards, explain the actions in the scene and about the characters involved and then get the actor to improvise the scene. (Tape this)
10) Talk to the actors about the bits you like and the bits that didn't work, ask them to do the same and then run the scene again. (Repeat this process until the scene rocks)
11) Do this for all your other scenes (It'll get easier as the process develops and the actors get to know the characters)
12) Turn on the computer, open a blank document in your script formating software, type what you see and the dialogue from the scenes you've already taped and the job is done.

Bingo a fully written and rehearsed script ready for you to shoot.
(works on shorts and features)

Clive;

I love your laid-back, integral approach to screenwriting. I agree wholeheartedly with the theory, even though I perform it differently.

I should add that when I am brainstorming for ideas, I can't write in isolation, or in silence, or while listening to music I'm in control of (i.e., just the computer and the CD player). I need an outside influence, something unpredictable, to help keep me alert. That's why I write in cafes and diners most of the time.

I also find I don't have the attention span for writing at length anymore. It burns me out. I'm writing in my head all day anyway, but sitting down to type / write is a three hour venture at best.

I don't think I ever really do anything on purpose anymore. My entire life has come to consist of things I do while I'm supposed to be doing something else...

that was very helpful. my problem with screenwriting is that, people tell me, i write too well. lol, no i'm not full of myself, but i do know that it is one of my few talents. so i get to descriptive, to into nuance and at the end of the day, theres nothing for actors to work with. my script becomes a novel, lol. which it should never seem like. a screenplay is just a blueprint for what will be onscreen, nothing more nothing less.

Another problem of mine is that i get great ideas for the overall plot, theme, feel of my script and characters but then im buggered when writing individual scenes. But your stuff was really helpful clive, gonna try it like that see how it works out.

Back