What should a basic film booker percentage be ?

I been doing film for 3 years and doing it in a partnership with my brother i did all the Shooting, directing, and editing and he did the booking however I still split 50/50 with him. But me and him recently split our ways because of the fact he wasn't pulling his weight and I was tired of splitting 50/50 and doing 80% of the work. So now I am starting my own production team and will be hiring my own booking agent. However recently I have a guy I have work with (shot a music video for his artist) he is bringing me clientele based off the work I did for him in the past. People saw the video i shot for him and they hit him up and want me to shoot their video now. Now my question is if this guy continues to bring clientele what type of percentage should I be giving him ? Usually I am charging 300-400 for basic viral videos in which i will be going up in prices soon. But for him to be bringing the clientele would he also sort of booking them for me? I do not want to hire him as a booker I want something within my own company to do this but I am asking what would be fair.

It was of my opinion that a booker was something else than what you're describing....

Anyway, it's not uncommon for there to be a 50/50 profit split between a creative and a business partner. As for the work load, it may be an idea to have a separate supplier agreement in place to avoid the disproportional workload.

Here's the issue with all this. Creative people need business people and not necessarily the other way around. There needs to be enough meat for a business person to keep them interested in continuing to work with your business venture. In the end, it'll all come down to a negotiation between both of you.

It was of my opinion that a booker was something else than what you're describing....

Anyway, it's not uncommon for there to be a 50/50 profit split between a creative and a business partner. As for the work load, it may be an idea to have a separate supplier agreement in place to avoid the disproportional workload.

Here's the issue with all this. Creative people need business people and not necessarily the other way around. There needs to be enough meat for a business person to keep them interested in continuing to work with your business venture. In the end, it'll all come down to a negotiation between both of you.

The thing is Sweetie is I study business and took business so at the same time i feel i can do both positions and at this time I am... I just want to keep my business and creative to myself because people always seem to want to dip their hands into my creativeness to get the credentials and profit.. In the end I can't shoot and edit the videos as well as deal with the business side of booking, but people tend to come at me basically giving me referrals to other people but in return they want some type of participation in the project as well so they can get credits and money

What did you learn on what do with the situation from your business study?

While it's been a long time since I've read it, maybe there are some lessons to be learned from a booked called Raving Fans. I think it was by Ken Blanchard.

Back